Topics

Armstrong #S-51 Tool Holder - ebay # 170127786229 #s-51

Jim Beck <beck2205@...>

Curious Jim needs help, he has "sometimer's". If I ever knew the
purpose/reason/use/pros/cons of this style tool holder I've forgotten
it. Will it do anything you can't do with an AXA wedge-type QC tool
post? If I knew how to provide you with a quick click-on link to the
above ebay auction I would. Can you give me a hint on where to learn
how? TIA for your help.
P.S. - Just received a repro thread dial from "my brother Jeff" (NOT)
and it's very very nice.

Dave Mucha

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Jim Beck" <beck2205@...> wrote:

Curious Jim needs help, he has "sometimer's". If I ever knew the
purpose/reason/use/pros/cons of this style tool holder I've forgotten
it. Will it do anything you can't do with an AXA wedge-type QC tool
post?
It is much too large to use with the AXA, at 1-1/8" tall, it will not
fit any holders.

you would need to clamp it to the cross slide directly.

the only use I can see is to have it extend out, then by mounting a
tool bit in it at 90 deg, you could cut behind a ring.

con is that it would be a PITA to mount on the cross slide.

Dave

If I knew how to provide you with a quick click-on link to the
above ebay auction I would. Can you give me a hint on where to learn
how? TIA for your help.
P.S. - Just received a repro thread dial from "my brother Jeff" (NOT)
and it's very very nice.

Jim B. <btdtrfandmw@...>

I believe this is called a "Spring threading tool"

Jim B.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex.... It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction"

Albert Einstein/ EF Schumacher (ATCMB)

Curious Jim needs help, he has "sometimer's". If I ever knew the
purpose/reason/use/pros/cons of this style tool holder I've forgotten
it. Will it do anything you can't do with an AXA wedge-type QC tool
post? If I knew how to provide you with a quick click-on link to the
above ebay auction I would. Can you give me a hint on where to learn
how? TIA for your help.
P.S. - Just received a repro thread dial from "my brother Jeff" (NOT)
and it's very very nice.

John Nitzh

I was under the impression that these were for shapers not lathes. For
shapers the bit is parallel with the shank not at an angle like a
lathe holder, and the end rotates to account for angled down feed
while keeping the bit perpendicular to the workpiece.

Jim B. <btdtrfandmw@...>

Yes but the shaper holder does not have the "loop" or spring in it.

I searched the archives of the Yahoo group before posting. This question had popped up there once or twice before.

Jim B.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex.... It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction"

Albert Einstein/ EF Schumacher (ATCMB)

I was under the impression that these were for shapers not lathes. For
shapers the bit is parallel with the shank not at an angle like a
lathe holder, and the end rotates to account for angled down feed
while keeping the bit perpendicular to the workpiece.

Stephen Arnold <sarnold@...>

I have one similar to this that my father-in-law gave me years ago.  He worked at what was once the Star Lathe Works in Seneca Falls, NY, and was, during his tenure the Seneca Falls Machine Company.  They built large tracer lathes there in his day.

When I asked him what the heck this was (I was a real newbie back then) he told me that it was a threading tool holder that would avoid chatter.  I was skeptical due to the very heavy "spring" between the tool  holder and the bit.  He assured me that the spring would not result in loss of tolerances, but flex slightly and predictably.  The tool holder is too big for my 9"SB lathe, so I've never had the opportunity to confirm or deny his claim.  But I very recently acquired a Taiwanese 14x40 that might be big enough for me to make some test cuts with the tool.  Unless somebody else here has first hand experience and can offer immediate input, I'll try to get around to that and report the results here.

Steve A

I was under the impression that these were for shapers not lathes. For
shapers the bit is parallel with the shank not at an angle like a
lathe holder, and the end rotates to account for angled down feed
while keeping the bit perpendicular to the workpiece.

Jeff Beck

Exactly, the archives seem to all agree that it makes a poor shaper
tool holder because of too much flex.

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Jim B. " <btdtrfandmw@...>

_____

I was under the impression that these were for shapers not lathes.
For
shapers the bit is parallel with the shank not at an angle like a
lathe holder, and the end rotates to account for angled down feed
while keeping the bit perpendicular to the workpiece.

Jim B. <btdtrfandmw@...>

Here is a page out of a catalog describing this tool. Just incase some still think its a shaper tool