Cross feed nut

Teagus

DO I own a crossfeed nut? Were the hell is my crossfeed nut? Is my
crossfeed nut happy? Did someone disconnect it? Is the bolt missing?
What bolt? Arggggggggg.......

Steve Wells

Teagus,
Would you like one of mine?....LOL
For Everyones FYI, I have posted the prices for my screw repair blank
and cast bronze replacement nuts on my website, www.wswells.com
Repair example pictures and instructions are also posted. I still have a few
more pictures to post.
There is  a cross feed screw exchange service in the works also.
I also have complete replacement screws available on request.
Attached are pictures of the replacement nuts....nothing like the ebay ones...
I have limited  numbers of each in stock, I will also have the 13" with taper
but, is not in stock at this time
Now, I need the screw testers that have not e-mailed me to at least let me know you received
your stock piece and your impression.

Steve

Teagus wrote:

DO I own a crossfeed nut? Were the hell is my crossfeed nut? Is my
crossfeed nut happy? Did someone disconnect it? Is the bolt missing?
What bolt? Arggggggggg.......

Teagus

Thanks Steve, I'm back in the warm and fuzzy zone again. In an hour and
a half I will be home and covered in lathe grease.

ChristopherS

Make sure that the CS gib screws aren't cranked down tight!

Just a thought, Chris

Teagus wrote:

DO I own a crossfeed nut? Were the hell is my crossfeed nut? Is my
crossfeed nut happy? Did someone disconnect it? Is the bolt missing?
What bolt? Arggggggggg.......

John S. Phillips <phillijs@...>

Steve,

The acme thread stock (7/16" Left Hand) was received and checked. It
is perfect. This must have been a CNC job. I have a new cross feed
nut with a back lash adjustment. I placed it on the new thread stock
and it provided a consistant .005 back lash the entire length (I set
the .005). I did the same on the thread stock on my lathe and found
the ends tight and the middle, well .020 slop. I certainly found a
sweet spot as they call it in my cross slide screw. I will be
installing the new thread stock you provided shortly.

What do I owe you, postage??

John

Steve Wells

John,
You just paid for it, thank you very much!
I did omit to include the insert repair instructions and the South Bend
Bulletins for refitting the handle/dial backlash with the test screws I sent out.
I didn't have them completed yet, but they are posted to the website
for viewing now.
The old South Bend blueprints for the screw and nut called out  .003 to .005
as the spec for backlash. The repairs that have been completed are falling in that range.
I had this material roll threaded in C1144 stress proof which as you might have found is
a very good match in appearance to the original screw, which was probably 12L14 or something
close to that, the 1144 will machine very well and still give good service life.
Take a few pictures of the repair if you can, I'd like to see them.

Steve Wells