What model is my lathe?

John Dinan <jdinan@...>

SN: 8611NAR8

I'm sure it is buried in this number, but please help me determine it.
From the photos in the catalog that came with it, it looks to me as
though it might be either a Toolroom or a Model A. The previous owner
has written 444-Y on the front page of the Attachments catalog. Is
this significant?
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Dinan <jdinan@...>

Steve: Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. The year 1947 jibes with the conversation I had with the previous owner as I was inspecting the lathe. He was an older gentleman who told me he purchased it new in 1948.

So I am the second owner. How great is that!
Jack

Jack,
Your lathe is a 1947, and yes a catalog model 444, would have the
code designation NAR in the serial number, that would be a 9" model A
6 speed horizontal motor drive(HMD) bench lathe.
I'm not sure about the 8 on the end on the number of a 9" , on the 10" tool room lathe
the 8 in the model number Designates a toolroom lathe, such as CL-8-xxx-x-x.

Steve

Steve Wells

Jack,
Your lathe is a 1947, and yes a catalog model 444, would have the
code designation NAR in the serial number, that would be a 9" model A
6 speed horizontal motor drive(HMD) bench lathe.
I'm not sure about the 8 on the end on the number of a 9" , on the 10" tool room lathe
the 8 in the model number Designates a toolroom lathe, such as CL-8-xxx-x-x.

Steve

Steve Wells

The Y is a 3 foot bed, and back to the 8, I think that was a revision change number.

Steve

Jack Dinan <jdinan@...>

Steve: I Googled Leblond and found on their site an information form. I'll begin by filling that out. Thanks for the lead.
I'll let you know the results.
Jack

Jack, I may have spoken to soon, now it could be a 1948.
I don't have enough numbers in my serial number file to say for
sure. Why don't you call Leblond and find out? They will give you the line card
information over the phone or by e-mail. Then I would have one more confirmed
number in my file.

Steve

Steve Wells