Moving forward with my 1923 11" 63A, advice on motor size needed.

Gary

Hello,
Well after my initial post a couple weeks ago about painting my
SB 11, Ive made a few discoveries and some progress. As I cleaned the
years of accumulated grime off it, a few problems became evident. The
back gear is missing a tooth on the small gear, and the slider gear
has a chunk missing in a couple of teeth, making me wonder how its
supposed to stay in one range, without any kind of detent to hold it
in place. I carefully cleaned it as best I could and repainted it with
a nice oil base industrial enamel. Its still a tired machine, but much
nicer to look at! Ive run it a little and found that the motor shaft
is bent which is causing a mean vibration. I have several old single
phase motors, but I wasnt sure what the ideal HP would be for this
machine. If I reuse the original style motor mount I would like to
keep the weight down if I can, but I dont want to go with something
too small. I will post pics as soon as I can!

Thanks, Gary

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi Gary

I have seen two early 9 inch that did not have the detent for  holding the sliding gear in position.  Both were 1923 built machines.  The two lathes I have here has the detent in both the 9 inch and the 11 inch lathes.  If you need to see what this looks like I can send pictures.  It would required you to pull the sliding gear shaft off the mount bracket and set it up and  cut grooves for a ball ride in.  The ball sits in a drilled hole in the siding gear hub and has a small piece of clock spring over the top of it to holed it in place.  The clock spring has a hole at one end and a screw holds it onto the sliding gear hub. I think one of the other guys in this group has one without a detent setup.

Check your gear width.  Some of the early 9 inch lathes without the detent had 1/2 inch wide gears and when SB put the detent in they changed the gears to 3/8 so they would have room for a neutral position.  I am not sure if they changed the gear width on the 11 inch.  I have a later 11 here so I can check these gears against yours.

Turk