broken cross slide screw

randyfischer22

Greetings all,

Newbie poster here, bought a 1947 Model A last year, thrilled to get a
one owner, professionally maintained unit. Story was the machine shop
that was getting rid of it after it had sat in the same spot in his new
jersy shop since being new. Anyway, sat in the garage for the winter
waiting to get time for a good cleaning and the unthinkable happens, it
got tipped over and smashed on the concrete. Talk about watching in
horror.....

Anyway, been replacing some damaged parts and the last is the cross
slide screw, since the handle snapped off. The unit had a taper
attachment, am I correct in thinking the screw is longer than a unit
without a taper attachement? If this is correct, is there any place to
buy a replacement screw other than Southbend? I keep watching ebay,
but it is never clear exactly what length the screw is that is posted.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

George Taylor, IV

Randy,

I haven't used them, but the group has much good to say about Miller
Machine
http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/102.htm

They can probably make one for you if you can't find one.
Hope this helps.

George

[...]

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi Randy and welcom

Can you post a picture of the front of your saddle so we can see which cross slide screw and mount assmebly you have.

Turk

[...]

ChristopherS

These stories always bug me! They all have the same theme and they all have the same ending.... A cherry SB sits in one spot all of it's damn life, babied by its owner for nearly 60 years. The new guy gets it and then .. wham! For once I would like to read a happy ending. Like; "I threw myself under the lathe to break its fall and it didn't even get scratched!" :-)
Just kidding ... I think?

Chris

randyfischer22 wrote:

[...]

william B. Mispel

No idea of the condition of said cross feed screw.
However, if the handle is the only part broken off
the screw , remove the rest of the 3/8 shaft. Drill
and ream a new hole and  pin,silver solder or even thread
and use loctite. re turn the new shaft to fit your dials and handle.
If it is just the threaded part face off some drill and ream
for a new piece and silver solder it in place turn and thread.
Make a new slot for the little brass pin.
Don't forget to LOCK you cross slide and use the compound
rest .
Good place to start being a machinist.

randyfischer22 wrote:
Greetings all,

Newbie poster here, bought a 1947 Model A last year, thrilled to get a
one replacement screw other than Southbend? I keep watching ebay,
but it is never clear exactly what length the screw is that is posted.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Dave Mucha

--- In southbendlathe@..., Chris Strazzeri <cjstrazz@...>
wrote:

These stories always bug me! They all have the same theme and they
all have the same ending.... A cherry SB sits in one spot all of it's
damn life, babied by its owner for nearly 60 years. The new guy gets
it and then .. wham! For once I would like to read a happy ending.
Like; "I threw myself under the lathe to break its fall and it didn't
even get scratched!" :-)
Just kidding ... I think?

Chris
Me, I gasp that there was a machine in NJ that I missed !

Dave

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Another way of fixing a broken lead screw were just the thread on the end is missing is to drill and tap the end of the lead screw and then make up a special washer and secure the handle to the screw assembly with a button head cap screw.  I have done this before.

If the portion of the screw that the handle itself sits on is damaged then drill and ream the end of the screw and then make up a new end and locktight it in place.  Done correctly you will never know it was repaired.  Remember on this style of repair the diameter for the part that your loctighting into the old screw does not have to be any larger than the diameter of the screw thread on the end that the nut screws on to.  That is the smallest or weakest link in the assembly.  I have also used this method to repair a lead screw were not only the thread was damaged but also the surface that the handle sits on.

Turk

randyfischer22 yahoo.com> wrote:
Greetings all,

Newbie poster here, bought a 1947 Model A last year, thrilled to get a
one replacement screw other than Southbend? I keep watching ebay,
but it is never clear exactly what length the screw is that is posted.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

randyfischer22

Thanks guys, appriciate the tips.  It was as you suggested just the threaded end that the spin handle attached.  I'll give it a go and see what happens.  Would be nice to have a working lathe......

Randy

randyfischer22 wrote:
Greetings all,

Newbie poster here, bought a 1947 Model A last year, thrilled to get a
one replacement screw other than Southbend? I keep watching ebay,
but it is never clear exactly what length the screw is that is posted.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.