South Bend indexing centers unit cat #ce9635

bob

This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs for
a zerox set of this information. Thank you, Bob

Rich Dean <cmsteam@...>

bob,
try the number again. That's a putter!
RichD

bob wrote:

This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs for
a zerox set of this information. Thank you, Bob

bob

e-bay item number 180104600537 sorry, I typed 5 instead of 6
--- In southbendlathe@..., Rich

bob wrote:
This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs for
a zerox set of this information. Thank you, Bob

walter peterson <walt4711@...>

Jeeze, Look at what he wants for shipping!!! $50 is
ludicrous for that item, even including Insurance
Walt

bob wrote:
This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just
picked up. One of these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found
the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and
general description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and
installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with
a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came
with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but
I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy
and postage costs for
a zerox set of this information. Thank you,
Bob

test'; ">

Anthony Rhodes

The Indexing Attachment is almost certainly intended for use with a milling machine. The pins on the bottom are used to align the attachment with the T-slots of the mill's table.

At 5" swing it appears to be too large to fit on a lathe, and there doesn't appear to be a way to mount it to the cross slide.

Looks like a 72:1 worm drive. 5 degrees per revolution of the ball handle, 50 divisions would give 1/10 degree increments.

Anthony
Berkeley, Calif.
In a message dated Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 pm Pacific Daylight Time, Bob writes:
This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs for
a zerox set of this information.

See what's free at AOL.com.

bob

I hope to mount it in my milling vise on the cross slide and and
rotate model wheel hubs for drilling spoke holes and maybe use it to
mark feed dials. Who knows what other possibilities it might have. I
still need a copy of the original operating and set-up instructions
though. Thank you, Bob

Bob writes:

This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs for
a zerox set of this information.

http://www.aol.com.

eng4turns

Also for use on a shaper.

Ed in Florida

Bob writes:

This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of
these
jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general
description in
a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs
for
a zerox set of this information.

http://www.aol.com.

fred eisner

hi guys
i have the parts breakdown for the index centers
if anyone has a need for a copy email me and ill send it to you
if anyone has different paperwork i would appreciate a copy
thanks fred
imsteamer21@...

To: southbendlathe@...
From: eng4turns@...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:41:22 +0000
Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: South Bend indexing centers unit cat #CE9635

Also for use on a shaper.

Ed in Florida

Bob writes:

> This indexing jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of
these
> jigs is pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts
> list in southbendmanual files and a picture and general
description in
> a SB 1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation
> instructions that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I
> need dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit
> into the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what
> their function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs
for
> a zerox set of this information.

http://www.aol.com.

bob

Fred, If someone does come up hith an operation/set-up instruction
sheet, I would gladly pay zerox and mailing costs for copies. Thank
you, Bob M.
--- In southbendlathe@..., fred eisner <imsteamer21@...>
wrote:

hi guys
i have the parts breakdown for the index centers
if anyone has a need for a copy email me and ill send it to you
if anyone has different paperwork i would appreciate a copy
thanks fred
imsteamer21@...

To: southbendlathe@...: eng4turns@...: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:41:22
+0000Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: South Bend indexing centers unit
cat #CE9635

Also for use on a shaper.Ed in Florida--- In
southbendlathe@..., anthrhodes@ wrote:>> > The Indexing
Attachment is almost certainly intended for use with a milling >
machine. The pins on the bottom are used to align the attachment with
the > T-slots of the mill's table.> > At 5" swing it appears to be too
large to fit on a lathe, and there doesn't > appear to be a way to
mount it to the cross slide.> > Looks like a 72:1 worm drive. 5
degrees per revolution of the ball handle, 50 > divisions would give
1/10 degree increments.> > Anthony> Berkeley, Calif.>
******************************************> In a message dated Fri Apr
13, 2007 6:11 pm Pacific Daylight Time, Bob writes:> > This indexing
jig came with the new 10K I just picked up. One of these> jigs is
pictured on e-bay #180104500537. I found the exploded parts> list in
southbendmanual files and a picture and general description in> a SB
1956 catalog but there is no operating and installation> instructions
that I can find. The unit came with a dog clamp that I> need
dimensions to machine a copy and it came with 2 pins that fit> into
the base. These pins are on my indexer but I don't know what> their
function is. I would be glad to pay copy and postage costs for> a
zerox set of this information.> > > > >
http://www.aol.com.>

sandykt2

When I purchased my 10L last month, I was fortunate enough to get
both the indexing centers and the South Bend Indexing Table. Both
are complete, in new condition and came with original boxes as well
as a parts list. The document is two sided, with the parts list for
each piece of equipment on each side.

If anyone is interested, I'll gladly mail them a copy.

In disassembling for inspection and cleaning of the indexing
centers, I noticed two interesting design facts. The indexing
center's part number 3 "worm wheel" is free floating on part #
10 "live center" and is capable of moving back on forth along the
longitudinal axis of the live center a fraction of an inch. The
longitudinal movement allows engagement and disengagement of
the "worm wheel" from part number 30 "worm gear". When positive
engagement of the worm wheel and live center is desired, the wheel
is meshed with the worm and a nut (part number 1 "lock nut") turned
counterclockwise on the threaded portion of the worm wheel hub.
This action forces pressure on a steel ball squeezed between the
lock nut and live center, consequently locking the wheel and the
live center together; a very nifty feature to allow full
functionality in such a small device.

A similar design is employed in locking the graduated collar of the
indexing center and table. The functional and construction of the
worm drive in both devices are identical.

The Parts lists are dated 6-15-57. A South Bend catalogue of same
vintage shows both devices as accessories for the then manufactured
South Bend Mill, Drill and Shaper.

The indexing table was listed as an accessory for the 10L and larger
lathes as well. It is designed for installation on the cross slide
for producing concave and convex surfaces.

Sandy