Lath manufacture dates

Steve Wells

Cal, Denny
Here are some December 1935 shots of the new "improved" 1936 Workshop
These are from the Workshop Catalog 15-R page 14 and 15.
Denny, end door shots of threading plate...I think you have one of the lathes they
did the art work from...haha  and....the elusive 415RF...the F being Floor Legs.
First time I've seen the F listed.
This is a pretty good catalog...hmmm, glad I won this one..:))

Steve

Steve Wells

Ya think I Maybe should attach the pictures...ha

Steve

krueger_cal <cal@...>

Denny
What would you say the start and end time frame would be for the 405s
and the 415s ? From what I have read, the 405s started C.1934 and 415s
ended C.1939 more or less. I have been told by a self
proclaimed "expert" that there are no 415s.
Cal

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi Cal

As near as I can tell by all the early 405 and 415 catalogs as well as the bigger full line catalogs I have I think the 405 started shipping in mid 34.  I believe the 9 inch tool makers 20 series lathe stared in early 34.  My February 1934 full line catalog shows the tool makers lathe but not the 405.  I do have the 405 in individual sales flyers covering just the 405.

I have a October 1935 full line catalog that shows again the 20 series 9 inch tool makers lathe but again not the 405.  Its in this catalog that the last few pages are the introduction of the new 1936 415 workshop lathe.  I dont know how many full line catalogs SB produced each year.  There may be a full line catalog showing the 405 but I only have the little sales flyers showing it.

From these SB catalogs and sales flyers I am going to say that for sure the catalog 20 series tool makers 9 inch was in production for two full years but I really dont think the 405 was in production more that maybe 12 to 15 months.

The tool makers lathes price started at  $158 and the 405 started at $75 so we can see why the workshop lathe won out over the tool makers lathe though in the beginning it was a much better lathe.

Its interesting that the 1931 to 1933 8 Jr. was the first cast iron bearing head stock that SB built. The tool makers lathe head stock is identical to the 8 Jr. only just a little bigger and no parts except the forward reveres shifter will interchange.  Owe the change gears on the 8 Jr. and the tool maker are the same but  will not fit the 405 or later 415 workshop lathes.   The 8 Jr. and the tool makers lathe change gears are in fact 18 pitch but the bore is 5/8 not 9/16 like all workshop lathes.

The 20 series tool maker was a cast iron bearing spindle head stock.  It differed in the 405 and 415 workshop lathes in that it had a removable cap but for all practical intent it was the same with a keyway and a wick at the top under the oil cup.

Now if you would like to see an odd SB change gear setup take a look at my 1910 10 inch that I just got the end bracket repaired and just came in from setting up a gear set to cut a 24 pitch thread.  The idler required is a 120 tooth gear.  If anyone has a gear this bid with spokes I sure would like to get my hands on it. The gears are 16 pitch and are 1/2 wide.  The later 9 inch wide bed lathes used the same gears as this 1906 to 1914 ten inch.

Turk

*From:* Steve Wells <mailto:wswells@...>
*To:* southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Here are some December 1935 shots of the new "improved" 1936
Workshop
These are from the Workshop Catalog 15-R page 14 and 15.
Denny, end door shots of threading plate...I think you have
one of
the lathes they
did the art work from...haha and....the elusive 415RF...the
being Floor Legs.
First time I've seen the F listed.
This is a pretty good catalog...hmmm, glad I won this
one..:))

Steve

CAL <cal@...>

Just tried it Steve, all I can say is a great job even better. at 26K everything is very user friendly. Certainly much faster than a lot of other web sites I visit regularly. Thanks again.
Cal

Ed Godwin wrote:

> Very nice, Steve. I really appreciate your efforts to help preserve
> and make available this great information to the rest of us.
>
> Ed in Florida
>
> --- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
> the%40yahoogroups.com>, Steve Wells >
> wrote:
> >
> > Group Members,
> > I finally got my website live, with more storage space,
> > I will be uploading catalogs, bulletins, part lists, you name it,
> > it will be there...and member lathe pictures to help ID lathes and
> parts.
> > And what ever else you want to see, just ask. I'm concerned about
> speed
> > over dial up so users report please, I can try to improve the
> speed.
> > Everyone on this group and the PM group gets a free pass while I
> build the
> > site. It will remain free to the groups, but I may add user name
> and
> > password
> > to protect the site from "The Others" :).
> >
> > www.wswells.com
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > CAL wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah I believe you beat me out on that one. Any chance of photo
> copies
> > > of the catalog?
> > > I found the bed date number of my lathe , under the head stock.
> Will
> > > send to you when I figure how to read without stripping the
> whole thing.

ChristopherS

Steve, Dave Smith made it quite clear to me that his intentions are to keep his groups & information open to the members. As for the 10K & 10K Pics2 groups: The files & pics are open for copying by the membership, so I'm assuming that Bob Wright is OK with your none profit intentions. I'm sure Bob will (he's very busy building bridges) chime in here.

Now lets get to this group...  You're going to have to contact the Moderator.. LOL?

Chris

Ed Godwin wrote:

> Very nice, Steve. I really appreciate your efforts to help preserve
> and make available this great information to the rest of us.
>
> Ed in Florida
>
> --- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
> the%40yahoogroups.com>, Steve Wells >
> wrote:
> >
> > Group Members,
> > I finally got my website live, with more storage space,
> > I will be uploading catalogs, bulletins, part lists, you name it,
> > it will be there...and member lathe pictures to help ID lathes and
> parts.
> > And what ever else you want to see, just ask. I'm concerned about
> speed
> > over dial up so users report please, I can try to improve the
> speed.
> > Everyone on this group and the PM group gets a free pass while I
> build the
> > site. It will remain free to the groups, but I may add user name
> and
> > password
> > to protect the site from "The Others" :).
> >
> > www.wswells.com
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > CAL wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah I believe you beat me out on that one. Any chance of photo
> copies
> > > of the catalog?
> > > I found the bed date number of my lathe , under the head stock.
> Will
> > > send to you when I figure how to read without stripping the
> whole thing.

Steve Wells

Bud,
I'll take any scanned information or documents, try to reduce it down to 150
or 300 dpi so the file will not be so huge, I can take the big file and do it for you.
I have a T-1 line at work, so big files are not a problem.

Steve

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.