cross feed screw thrust bearings

jebbesen05 <jebbesen05@...>

I have 13" toolroom lathe SN-152987. I'm looking for a cheaper source
for the cross feed thrust bearings. I made a new cross feed screw and
nut. There are two bearings one on each side of the taper attachment.
One of mine is bad. South Bend wants $51.00 for one bearing. That
seems expensive. I'd be ok with a used one if it was in good shape. I
am told they are interchangable with the ones used on a heavy 10, but I
don't know this for certain.

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Yep dem be da MSC ones I use.

Turk

Steve Wells

Check this MSC page to find the correct size, use the boston gear bearings
if you want a match for ball bearing thrust, read back through the messages
for a conversion to a needle roller in front. See Turks posts.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=3784&PMT4NO=19940325&PMT4TP=*ITPD&PMITEM=03548609&PMCTLG=00

Steve

jebbesen05 wrote:

I have 13" toolroom lathe SN-152987. I'm looking for a cheaper source
for the cross feed thrust bearings. I made a new cross feed screw and
nut. There are two bearings one on each side of the taper attachment.
One of mine is bad. South Bend wants $51.00 for one bearing. That
seems expensive. I'd be ok with a used one if it was in good shape. I
am told they are interchangable with the ones used on a heavy 10, but I
don't know this for certain.

tkrotw <tkrotw@yahoo.com>

I have a 13"
I sent my old thrust bearing to a very large bearing
house and they could not directly match it.
Leblond is $51, Rose at Parts Works is about $20
higher. The other large bearing on the shaft is $90
something. I heard after purchasing one that a needle
bearing from MSC can be shaved down to fit. I have
never done this but you could buy quite a few bearings
to modify for the cost of a factory one. If you have a
taper attachment I have some extra sets of the small
diameter thrust bearings in the taper attachment. Tell
us how it goes if you elect to modify an MSC set.
Tom Rose

Steve Wells

Tom,
can you give us the ID and OD measurements of your bearings,
A picture of the screw, dial and bushing with measurements would be nice.
The larger needle bearing would replace the ball thrusts if the size is correct,
if not, you might be able to bore the dial ring and or bushing and at least get
the needle type there. Denny or the group members might know the 13" sizes
from memory, I personally don't .

Steve
tom rose wrote:

I have a 13"
I sent my old thrust bearing to a very large bearing
house and they could not directly match it.
Leblond is $51, Rose at Parts Works is about $20
higher. The other large bearing on the shaft is $90
something. I heard after purchasing one that a needle
bearing from MSC can be shaved down to fit. I have
never done this but you could buy quite a few bearings
to modify for the cost of a factory one. If you have a
taper attachment I have some extra sets of the small
diameter thrust bearings in the taper attachment. Tell
us how it goes if you elect to modify an MSC set.
Tom Rose

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather>

bill stuart

maybe this will help.. the brgns were trashed in my
10l when i got it and couldnt find replacements
either. i forget all the little details but i bought
150 pack of bearing balls and made a cage out of brass
and sandwiched them between the hardened washers or
thrust plates which were still ok . had to reshim or
whatever to get the assembly to fit but worked out
pretty well .. hope this sparks an idea.. stirboy

tom rose wrote:

I have a 13"
I sent my old thrust bearing to a very large
bearing
house and they could not directly match it.
Leblond is $51, Rose at Parts Works is about $20
higher. The other large bearing on the shaft is
$90
something. I heard after purchasing one that a
needle
bearing from MSC can be shaved down to fit. I have
never done this but you could buy quite a few
bearings
to modify for the cost of a factory one. If you
have a
taper attachment I have some extra sets of the
small
diameter thrust bearings in the taper attachment.
Tell
us how it goes if you elect to modify an MSC set.
Tom Rose

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the
forecast

<http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather>

Never miss an email again!

e15cap <e15cap@...>

--- In southbendlathe@..., bill stuart <stirboy01@...>
I used an INA ft010 from my local bearing house - cost $20.

tom rose wrote:

[...]

_______________
Never miss an email again!

tkrotw <tkrotw@yahoo.com>

Hi all
I've been trying to get to the shop to take some
measurements. Been a little busy. The INA 010 are the
bearings on each side of the taper assembly, those I
have extras if anyone needs them. The bearings I think
under discussiion are the large ones that handle the
thrust on the crossfeed. I'll post measurements and
S.B. factory part numbers today.
Tom Rose

Press Stephens Outfitting
http://www.pressstephensoutfitting.com
Dubois, WY
307-455-3265
307-455-3290

tkrotw <tkrotw@yahoo.com>

These thrust bearings are numbers 15 and 17 on my
exploded diagram Form 911-J. They are part
numbers,AS841H2, and AS841T2, respectively. The H2
part number fits 13", 14.5", 16" and 16/24" S.B.s. The
T2 bearing only fits 13"s. The shaft diameter that the
bearings sit on is .625" for both. The larger bore is
1.16" and the smaller 1.010". The bearings measure
632" I.D. and .990" and 1.120" O.D. The ground
thrust washers that come with them are larger I.D.
.635" and smaller O.D. .900" and 1.080".
I think anything close would probably work as all the
loads are inline with the shaft i.e. thrust.
Hope this helps
Tom Rose

Press Stephens Outfitting
http://www.pressstephensoutfitting.com