New old Southbend lathe

n8ipj <johnmears@...>

This is my first posting so hello every one. Just purchased a 9 inch
jr.serial# 37568 date on casting is 11-15-27. Is taking the head stock
off easy? What do you suggest. It has a long Bed and is very heavy
and has to be taken out of a basement moved 5 miles and down again into
my basement. Thanks John

JohnHarding10@...

Jump in there with some wrenches, and take that puppy apart.  They're easier to move in pieces, and you get some practical experience putting it back together.  You should be able to put a "9" in the trunk of a Buick.

nwinblad

John,

I moved my 9" long bed all by myself when I inherited it from my dad. I
took off the headstock, tailstock, and carriage. I cut the belt to get
the motor countershaft assembly separate as I had to shorten the belt
anyway for my bench, but you can also take the axle out on the cone step
pulleys. With the lathe in pieces it was easily a one man job.well maybe
I shouldn't say easily.it is still fairly heavy, but nothing to complain
about. I wasn't at all worried about messing up the alignment as all the
assemblies key off the ways and will go right back where they came from.

Neal

This is my first posting so hello every one. Just purchased a 9 inch
jr.serial# 37568 date on casting is 11-15-27. Is taking the head stock
off easy? What do you suggest. It has a long Bed and is very heavy
and has to be taken out of a basement moved 5 miles and down again into
my basement. Thanks John

Johnny Kleso <rarebear@...>

If I am correct about your model, it is very easy IMHO

It has tow clamps with bolts in the center on the bottom side..
Its just like the tail stock but two clamps not one and the bolts are on the
bottom side..

Just loose the bolts and slide the head off the bed..

Thanks Very Much,
Johnny Kleso AKA rarebear
www.REXMILL.com

This is my first posting so hello every one. Just purchased a 9 inch
jr.serial# 37568 date on casting is 11-15-27. Is taking the head stock
off easy? What do you suggest. It has a long Bed and is very heavy
and has to be taken out of a basement moved 5 miles and down again into
my basement. Thanks John

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

http://www.eset.com

Steve Wells

Hello John,
Welcome, Your lathe by serial number and casting date would probably
be a 1928, built sometime in January, you can confirm this by emailing
Lablond. They should be able to tell you the ship date. tear down the
lathe for movement, everything will bolt right back up, after you clean
it. Don't run the lathe until you have cleaned and checked the
headstock bearings. There is much info in the files to help. There is a
wealth of knowledge in the members of this group, great guys.
I for one would like to see pictures of your Junior...I like the old
ones...

Steve Wells
wswells@earthlink.net

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi John also

If you give me your catalog number I can scan in an image from the
correct year catalog for you. If you email me at dennis.Turk at
horizon.net I can send it to you. I also have a small stash of spare
parts for the early 9 inch. I currently have a 1927 9 Jr. going
through restoration right now so I should be able to answer just about
any question about your lathe you may have.

Turk

Hello John,
Welcome, Your lathe by serial number and casting date would probably
be a 1928, built sometime in January, you can confirm this by
emailing
Lablond. They should be able to tell you the ship date. tear down the
lathe for movement, everything will bolt right back up, after you
clean
it. Don't run the lathe until you have cleaned and checked the
headstock bearings. There is much info in the files to help. There is
wealth of knowledge in the members of this group, great guys.
I for one would like to see pictures of your Junior...I like the old
ones...

Steve Wells
wswells@...

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Sorry John I dumb thumbed the email address. its

dennis.turk2 at verizon.net

[...]

nowakowskimf

Hello John, I have SB Junior #37819 with a similar date on the bed.
The headstock is simple to remove, and not that heavy by itself, once
you've taken off the change gear guard. Breaking down the whole lathe
is a good way to get familiar with it, and the safer way to move it. If
no one else mentioned it yet, there's a Yahoo group for SB Jrs.

Good Luck,
Marc Nowakowski

Steve Wells

Steve Wells

Steve Wells

My e-mail program is going nuts!

Marc,
Could you post your casting number?
Do you know the ship date of your 28 Junior?

Steve

ronnew

Dennis,

   I am member of forum and notice you have a lot of knowledge on SB’s.  could you tell me the part or number for the steady and follower rests that work on a 10 Heavy.  There are a few on ebay and am curious as I am in need of both.

Thank You for you help,

Ron (ronnew on forum)

Sorry John I dumb thumbed the email address. its

dennis.turk2 at verizon.net

> Hi John also
>
> If you give me your catalog number I can scan in an image from the
> correct year catalog for you. If you email me at dennis.Turk at
> horizon.net I can send it to you. I also have a small stash of
spare
> parts for the early 9 inch. I currently have a 1927 9 Jr. going
> through restoration right now so I should be able to answer just
about
> any question about your lathe you may have.
>
> Turk
>

> > Hello John,
> > Welcome, Your lathe by serial number and casting date would
probably
> > be a 1928, built sometime in January, you can confirm this by
> emailing
> > Lablond. They should be able to tell you the ship date. tear down
the
> > lathe for movement, everything will bolt right back up, after you
> clean
> > it. Don't run the lathe until you have cleaned and checked the
> > headstock bearings. There is much info in the files to help.
There is
> > wealth of knowledge in the members of this group, great guys.
> > I for one would like to see pictures of your Junior...I like the
old
> > ones...
> >
> > Steve Wells
> > wswells@

Mike Gehring

Try again   some other day or next week, I think he left town for a short while.
    Mike G.

dennis.turk2 at verizon.net

> Hi John also
>
> If you give me your catalog number I can scan in an image from the
> correct year catalog for you. If you email me at dennis.Turk at
> horizon.net I can send it to you. I also have a small stash of
spare
> parts for the early 9 inch. I currently have a 1927 9 Jr. going
> through restoration right now so I should be able to answer just
about
> any question about your lathe you may have.
>
> Turk
>

> > Hello John,
> > Welcome, Your lathe by serial number and casting date would
probably
> > be a 1928, built sometime in January, you can confirm this by
> emailing
> > Lablond. They should be able to tell you the ship date. tear down
the
> > lathe for movement, everything will bolt right back up, after you
> clean
> > it. Don't run the lathe until you have cleaned and checked the
> > headstock bearings. There is much info in the files to help.
There is
> > wealth of knowledge in the members of this group, great guys.
> > I for one would like to see pictures of your Junior...I like the
old
> > ones...
> >
> > Steve Wells
> > wswells@

with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

George Taylor, IV

Ron,

The casting numbers are: PT120R1 for the follow rest and PT775R1 for the steady rest.  The R at the end specifies that it is for the 10 Heavy.  I’m not sure what the part numbers are, but Lablond had a part number SBCL2395R (note the “R”) for the follow rest.  On Ebay, look for the casting number on the main casting.  Most of the other parts are interchangeable.

George

dennis.turk2 at verizon.net

> Hi John also
>
> If you give me your catalog number I can scan in an image from the
> correct year catalog for you. If you email me at dennis.Turk at
> horizon.net I can send it to you. I also have a small stash of
spare
> parts for the early 9 inch. I currently have a 1927 9 Jr. going
> through restoration right now so I should be able to answer just
about
> any question about your lathe you may have.
>
> Turk
>

> > Hello John,
> > Welcome, Your lathe by serial number and casting date would
probably
> > be a 1928, built sometime in January, you can confirm this by
> emailing
> > Lablond. They should be able to tell you the ship date. tear down
the
> > lathe for movement, everything will bolt right back up, after you
> clean
> > it. Don't run the lathe until you have cleaned and checked the
> > headstock bearings. There is much info in the files to help.
There is
> > wealth of knowledge in the members of this group, great guys.
> > I for one would like to see pictures of your Junior...I like the
old
> > ones...
> >
> > Steve Wells
> > wswells@

nowakowskimf

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wells" <wswells@...>
wrote:
Steve, I don't know the ship date. I can read "27" cast inside the
bed, and there appears to be another 2 digit number obscured by paint
but I can't read it.
Marc Nowakowski