Gear Cover

fl.lusen

I have been off of the list for some time now but am finally starting a
complete restoration of my 9A.

Has anyone removed the hinge pin from the gear cover? Mine is wabbling
around so the cover does not close well without having to lift it up.
Since there is nothing holding it in from the outside, I am assuming
the cap on top is the only holding and centering device. From what I
can see, the pin either needs to be driven out or the cap needs to be
ground away.

I have some photos but when I went to the photos page, the links,
Create New Album and Add Photos, are not present. The photos section
is not full either.

Regards,

Fred

David Smith <homessearch@...>

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Fred Lusen" wrote:

> I have been off of the list for some time now but am finally starting a
> complete restoration of my 9A.
>
> Has anyone removed the hinge pin from the gear cover? Mine is wabbling
> around so the cover does not close well without having to lift it up.
> Since there is nothing holding it in from the outside, I am assuming
> the cap on top is the only holding and centering device. From what I
> can see, the pin either needs to be driven out or the cap needs to be
> ground away.
>
> I have some photos but when I went to the photos page, the links,
> Create New Album and Add Photos, are not present. The photos section
> is not full either.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi Fred

OK your gear cover door pin is held in with Babbitt pored on
assembly using a centering fixture in the spindle.

If you pin is not to lose you can make up a drive sleeve that fits
over the pin and then drive the Babbitt back down around the knurls
of the pin. The hole in the casting is as cast and this is another
one of SB way of making something fit close without doing any
machines work.

Fred I melt the Babbitt out of the casting and I have made a
centering bushing for the spindle. This with the use of some blocks
and clamps I hold the door in its correct position and then re-poor
the Babbitt. I actually use linotype lead in mine as it is harder
than the Babbitt SB used.

Turk.

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lusen" <fl.lusen@...>
wrote:

[...]

Dave,

Guess what? There is no link to create a new album there either.

What gives?

Fred

fl.lusen

Turk,

Thanks for the response. I am unfamiliar with Babbitt material. What is
the easiest way to melt it? Would a MAP torch work? Now, where would one
get linotype lead in this day and age?

wrote:

[...]

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

Clem Jensen

McMaster Carr has lead based babbit metal. Melting point 650 F

Clem

wrote:

> I have been off of the list for some time now but am finally
starting a
> complete restoration of my 9A.
>
> Has anyone removed the hinge pin from the gear cover?  Mine is
wabbling
> around so the cover does not close well without having to lift it
up.
> Since there is nothing holding it in from the outside, I am
assuming
> the cap on top is the only holding and centering device.  From
what I
> can see, the pin either needs to be driven out or the cap needs to
be
> ground away.
>
> I have some photos but when I went to the photos page, the links,
> Create New Album and Add Photos, are not present.  The photos
section
> is not full either.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@...
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@...
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

South bend Ideas

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Terry McCreary <terry.mccreary@...>

Fred and all:

Linotype metal is often available on Ebay. Two auctions going right now, 10 lb for about $15.

Best -- Terry

At 02:21 PM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
McMaster Carr has lead based babbit metal. Melting point 650 F

Clem

On May 31, 2006, at 1:04 PM, fl.lusen wrote:

Turk,

Thanks for the response. I am unfamiliar with Babbitt material. What is
the easiest way to melt it? Would a MAP torch work? Now, where would one
get linotype lead in this day and age?

Fred

Dennis Turk <dennis.turk2@...>

Hi Fred

Babbitt can be gotten from McMaster Carr in California. I use a
propane torch to melt the Babbitt. I also have a little cast iron
lead pot on a handle that I got at Bi-Mart in the gun section and is
used for melting lead for bullets. This little pot is just the right
size for doing a door hinge pin. I also use the propane torch to
melt the lead in the little pot that I put back in. I have done one
lathe were I was able to save all the Babbitt that came out of the
door and then pored it back in. This is the same process that SB
used on there taper attachment bed mount and also on the lead screw
end bearing at the tail stock end of your lathe. Again all these
places were SB used this process there was no machine work done to
the castings other than what was needed to mount things. I have
found it interesting how SB was so precise in some areas of
construction and so effectively crude in others. Hay it worked for
90 years.

Turk

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "fl.lusen" <fl.lusen@...>

wrote:

[...]

html
Post: mailto:southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Email Moderators: mailto:southbendlathe-owner@yahoogroups.com
* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

David Smith <homessearch@...>

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Fred Lusen" wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Guess what? There is no link to create a new album there either.
>
> What gives?
>
> Fred

fl.lusen

Thanks Turk and to everyone else who answered. Now I can get on with it.

Fred

Babbitt can be gotten from McMaster Carr in California.

fl.lusen

Thanks Dave.  That worked.

I have uploaded photos of my gear cover showing the hinge pin to the south bend lathe2 photos section.

Fred

> Guess what? There is no link to create a new album there either.
>
> What gives?
>
> Fred

BOB WRIGHT

I have plenty of Babbitt if anyone needs some, drop me a line...Bob
aametalmaster@yahoo.com

Babbitt can be gotten from McMaster Carr in California.