Topics

Update: Multi Start Thds

Carl Young

Embarrassed to say, but it was an operator error.

Carl

Mike

I understand from your messages WHAT a multi start thread is but when
would you use one? I've never heard of it before.

Mike.

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Young" <youngcj1950@...>
wrote:

Embarrassed to say, but it was an operator error.

Carl

RichD <cmsteam@...>

Mike,
think leadscrew.
Used in automatic machines for fast positioning. CNC, printers, etc.
RichD

Mike wrote:

I understand from your messages WHAT a multi start thread is but when
would you use one? I've never heard of it before.

Mike.

Carl Young

Absolutely correct.

Having to crank a 1,000 times (figuratively) to move an 1".

Where I work that is a problem they've been dealing with for years on
one of the machines they produce. I've only been with em for 2 1/2 yrs.

I suggested why not use a dbl lead, of course I heard ..."WHAT?".

So that (to cut an example) is my pet project for the weekend, but it
has been so long ago -- I forgot a crucial step.

Carl

Mike wrote:

I understand from your messages WHAT a multi start thread is but when
would you use one? I've never heard of it before.

Mike.

Thomas G Brandl

They are also used on jars, bottle caps etc. Some every day common items.
The down side to multilead threads is they don't have as much clamping
force as single lead threads.
Tom

| | RichD |
| | <cmsteam@speedfacto|
| | ry.net> |
| | Sent by: |
| | southbendlathe@yaho|
| | ogroups.com |
| | |
| | |
| | 05/28/2006 03:16 PM|
| | Please respond to |
| | southbendlathe |
| | |
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com |
| cc: |
| Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] Re: Update: Multi Start Thds |

Mike wrote:

I understand from your messages WHAT a multi start thread is but when
would you use one? I've never heard of it before.

Mike.

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

_____________
This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.

BOB WRIGHT

Jars and bottle threads are called "knuckle threads" i think i read
that somewhere...Bob
--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Thomas.G.Brandl@... wrote:

They are also used on jars, bottle caps etc. Some every day common
items.
The down side to multilead threads is they don't have as much
clamping
force as single lead threads.
Tom

hoffmeyer <hmshop@hotmail.com>

Breech block on an artillery piece...
Eric

Mike wrote:

I understand from your messages WHAT a multi start thread is but
when
would you use one? I've never heard of it before.

Mike.

Steven Brown <sbrown04@...>

Some Jorgensen light weight bar clamps.
Steve

On May 30, 2006, at 7:00 AM, pupdieselluv wrote:

Breech block on an artillery piece...
Eric
--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, RichD <cmsteam@...> wrote:

> Mike,
> think leadscrew.
> Used in automatic machines for fast positioning.  CNC, printers,
etc.
> RichD
>
> Mike wrote:
> >
> > I understand from your messages WHAT a multi start thread is but
when
> > would you use one? I've never heard of it before.
> >
> > Mike.

SouthBendLatheFAQ.html
Post: mailto:southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Email Moderators: mailto:southbendlathe-owner@yahoogroups.com
* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

South bend
Ideas

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

▪  Visit your group "southbendlathe" on the web.

▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

gorvil

Fountain pen caps and barrels use triple lead threads. With 1 and a
half turns you get 4 and a half threads engaged.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Steven Brown <sbrown04@...>