Topics

Pipe Threads

Mosby West

I'm a newbie to this group and also to metal working.  I've been a woodworker for about 30 years and always wanted a metal lathe.  Your emails have been a great resource for information.  I just bought a 10k on eBay a few months ago and have been having fun playing with it.  Been buying some tooling and accessories and stuff.  I'm wondering if it is possible to cut pipe threads on a lathe without a taper attachment?

Any help is appreciated.
Mosby

Thomas G Brandl

You might offset the tailstock to get the proper taper. I've never done
pipe threads this way. I have only done this on longer parts like gun
barrels. On pipe threads larger than 1/2 and I have a die for it. I will
turn the taper with the compound and straight thread the piece. Then use
the die to cut/form the taper of the pipe thread. This take a lot less
force or power to cut the taper alone than the taper and threads. Uusually
I can do 3/4 pipe by hand. With cutting the threads straight first, I've
finished up 1-1/2 and maybe larger pipe threads.
Tom

| | Mosby West |
| | <jmwest@crosslink.n|
| | et> |
| | Sent by: |
| | southbendlathe@yaho|
| | ogroups.com |
| | |
| | |
| | 10/14/2005 07:58 AM|
| | Please respond to |
| | southbendlathe |
| | |
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com |
| cc: |
| Subject: [southbendlathe] Pipe Threads |
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I'm a newbie to this group and also to metal working.  I've been a
woodworker for about 30 years and always wanted a metal lathe.  Your
emails have been a great resource for information.  I just bought a 10k on
eBay a few months ago and have been having fun playing with it.  Been
buying some tooling and accessories and stuff.  I'm wondering if it is
possible to cut pipe threads on a lathe without a taper attachment?

Any help is appreciated.
Mosby

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

 Visit your group "southbendlathe" on the web.

_____________
This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.

dullvinci

Depends on how good a pipe thread you need.  I have in desperation cut pipe threads by putting a dial indicator on the cross slide and backing off the tool in small increments during the cut. Not perfect but usable in a pinch. Takes practice, patience, and strong nerves.
Chaz

Mosby West wrote:
I'm a newbie to this group and also to metal working.  I've been a woodworker for about 30 years and always wanted a metal lathe.  Your emails have been a great resource for information.  I just bought a 10k on eBay a few months ago and have been having fun playing with it.  Been buying some tooling and accessories and stuff.  I'm wondering if it is possible to cut pipe threads on a lathe without a taper attachment?

Any help is appreciated.
Mosby

Dave Mucha

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Mosby West" <jmwest@c...>
wrote:

I'm a newbie to this group and also to metal working. I've been a
woodworker for about 30 years and always wanted a metal lathe. Your
emails have been a great resource for information. I just bought a
10k on eBay a few months ago and have been having fun playing with
it. Been buying some tooling and accessories and stuff. I'm
wondering if it is possible to cut pipe threads on a lathe without a
taper attachment?

Any help is appreciated.
Mosby
Of course, but it is a PITA. taps and dies are often best for odd
threads.

Pipe threads have a tolerance that the threads should mesh after 1-
1/2 turns, so it is a little interesting to do.

There are a few poor-mans taper atttachment modifications that you
could make.

one just clamps on the rear ways and on the cross slide. it is not
perfect as the guide bar is just drill rod and it can flex under
loads. light cuts would ge good results.

Dave