Topics

Storage of Lathe

Bruce Anderson <bdahome@...>

Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10 Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move.  Just to the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

kc1fp

A thin coat of grease on the bare surfaces is recommended for long
term storage. JP

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Anderson" <bdahome@c...>
wrote:
Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10
Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move. Just to
the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have
without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something
like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to
type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Marshall Smith <nwbm@...>

WD40 will rust. Never use it for lubrication or rust prevention. I think the idea of a lean to is a plus. This needs to breath so don't wrap it up so tight that it sweats. Sweating is a greater danger than rain. Might not hurt to put some desiccant (not sure of the spelling) with it too.

Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10 Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move.  Just to the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Buzz <buzz@...>

Bruce,
How about coating it with Cosomilne?
Here's a web page that tells how to remove it but I found the statement, "You can purchase cosmoline
from, Midway USA as well as, Brownells".
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/index.asp

I'm a newbie to this list but I've been around the block a few times.

Buzz

Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10 Toolroom lathe on an under drive
cabinet, we need to move. Just to the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have without tripping over it is
outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something like that and keep it covered
with a tarp? I could build a lean-to type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

BOB WRIGHT

I would not use WD40 for long term storage but i do spray down
everytime i use my lathe. Every item that is polished metal gets a
coating. WD40 was a life saver a few days ago when the outside temp
(68) rose so fast everything in my shop had water on it. I quickly
sprayed everything with WD40. It left a creamy water mixture on the
metal then the water evaporiated and i had zero rust on the coated
parts. The uncoated parts rusted the next day. So that $2 can was
worth every penny...Bob
--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Marshall Smith" <nwbm@q...>
wrote:
[...]

tml
Post: mailto:southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Email Moderators: mailto:southbendlathe-owner@yahoogroups.com
* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

Service.

Rick v100 <rickv100@...>

I think you can also get cosmoline in large quanities
from some surplus dealers.

Rick

--
Web:
Files area
Post: mailto:southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Email Moderators:
mailto:southbendlathe-owner@yahoogroups.com
* * * * *
Manage your subscription by sending a blank
message as follows:
Unsubscribe:
Stop delivery:
southbendlathe-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest mode:
southbendlathe-digest@yahoogroups.com
Individual emails:
southbendlathe-normal@yahoogroups.com

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
Yahoo! Terms of Service.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Marshall Smith <nwbm@...>

Yes, it does have value for that. It is designed to displace moisture.

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Marshall Smith"
wrote:
> WD40 will rust. Never use it for lubrication or rust prevention. I
think the idea of a lean to is a plus. This needs to breath so don't
wrap it up so tight that it sweats. Sweating is a greater danger than
rain. Might not hurt to put some desiccant (not sure of the spelling)
with it too.

makowicki <wayne@...>

Water proof grease, I use it on my boat wheel bearings (trailer) and
the stuff holds up to under water use with no rust. Good stuff, plus
its a nice clean blue noe black and messy

Tim Ebel <tebel@...>

I had that same problem with the weather last week. And it was the last time!! I went and built a wall dividing my garage in half. Insulated the ceiling, walls. I am going to keep it at a steady 45 degrees from now one.
Tim

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

bdmail <bdmail@...>

It has to be sealed all around, otherwise the condensation everynight will rust it where you cannot see.....every little crack and crevace....

AND LOTS OF OIL EVERYWHERE

Light stuff where you can't get to and haevy sticky suff where you can.

Keep checking it and spraying it.

Bernie

From: Bruce Anderson
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:04:39 -0500
To: southbendlathe@...

Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10 Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move.  Just to the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Yahoo! Groups Links
  • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

gorvil

You might consider putting a low wattage lamp or other heat source
under the tarp to keep it warmer under the tarp than outside.

Glen Reeser

to the Yahoo! Terms of Service

bkfan2001 <bkfan2001@...>

Hi Bruce,

Use a good Chassis grease (quite similar to cosmoline used by the
gov't to rust proof items for storage) on ALL the unpainted parts.
The grease I am speaking of is the thick, stringy stuff that is
terribly messy. This stuff won't melt off during the summer heat.
What you are trying to do is to block the air from staying in
contact with the metal. Rust is an oxide, as such, cut off its
supply of oxygen and you kill the growth of rust. Also don't sit
directly on the ground or just on top of some boards. Moisture can
come up from underneath and corrode your lathe. Make sure to put a
good vapor barrier, Ie. some heavy plastic sheeting under it to keep
ground moisture from damaging it. Also make sure that the covering
does not seal of your lathe from the outside air completely. You
should have some airflow throught there to dry out any condensation
that might occur. Last but not least, keep an eye on it. When the
weather is good, uncover it and check to see if there is anything
happening. "An oz of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Best Regards
BK

<bdahome@c...> wrote:
Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10
Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move. Just to
the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have
without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off
of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something
like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to
type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Rob Peterson

<bdahome@c...> wrote:
Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10
Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move. Just to
the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have
without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off
of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something
like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to
type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce
I'd think that a bucket full of motor oil and some plastic bags
would work here. Dunk (literally) the parts in the bucket of oil
and toss into heavy plastic bag. Get rid of the air (shop vac) and
tie the bag closed and insert in another plastic bag for extra
protection. The oil will coat every surface and crevice and the
plastic will keep out moisture. For short term storage, this should
work fine. 2 qrts of oil should do just about everything.

Cleanup will be easy. Just some mineral spirits and a small brush.

Rob P.

Bruce Anderson <bdahome@...>

Thanks all for the storage tips. Good idea about the bulb, never thought of that although I used to do that for my welding rods and it's actually how I dry my beef jerky now!

Regards,

Bruce

You might consider putting a low wattage lamp or other heat source
under the tarp to keep it warmer under the tarp than outside.

Glen Reeser

to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

chris_c_willis <williscebay@...>

If it were me, I would use the cosmoline. Be liberal with coating
it, and you will sleep easy for the next year without having to check
up on it.

<bdahome@c...> wrote:
Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10
Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move. Just to
the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have
without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off
of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something
like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to
type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

kc1fp

McMasters sells it also, heat it up to make it flow easier. JP

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "chris_c_willis"

<bdahome@c...> wrote:
Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10
Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move. Just to
the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have
without tripping over it is outside.

It is partially disassembled, headstock, tailstock, apron all off
of it.

Can I pretty safely just soak it with WD- 40 or LPS or something
like that and keep it covered with a tarp? I could build a lean-to
type thing on the side of a shed if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Dave Mucha

<bdahome@c...> wrote:
Just as I was getting going cleaning and rebuilding a Heavy 10
Toolroom lathe on an under drive cabinet, we need to move. Just to
the next town, but a smaller house yet plenty of room to build a
bigger shop!!!

Need to store the lathe for maybe a year and the only room I have
without tripping over it is outside.
WD-40 is a possible candidate.

WD-40 will coat, and protect the metal surfaces for awhile. 12
months on the outside. 6 months is about where the life is
beginning to be in question.

BUT.... WD-40 is like your tonsils. when it goes bad, it doesn't
just stop working, it goes over to the other side. it cleans the
other oils off so when the WD-40 expires, there is no other
protectant.

There are a LOT of people who have horror stories of having Unckle
Fred's micromenter found in his basement from 5 years ago, still
perfect, cleaned with WD-40, then rusted badly in 6 months....

Boeshield or some similar has a wax in it and is designed for much
longer storeage. It leaves a waxy film for long term protection.

I use grease in my basement on all metal surfaces. I use WD-40 for
hinges and lubrication, but have some old grease the at liquified and
am now using that with Q-tips when I can.

Dave

Dave Mucha

<williscebay@h...> wrote:

If it were me, I would use the cosmoline. Be liberal with coating
it, and you will sleep easy for the next year

Or, the next 5-10-15-50 ? years ? Generations down the line will
love your efforts. I think there are still WW-II things popping up
that were stored in the stuff.

Dave

Dave Mucha

<bdahome@c...> wrote:
Thanks all for the storage tips. Good idea about the bulb, never
thought of that although I used to do that for my welding rods and
it's actually how I dry my beef jerky now!

Regards,

Bruce
A scrap refrigerator would have insulation and be a decent seal for
such a storage unit.

I've seem them used as mini-storage sheds and even pick-up tool boxes.

Only problem is checking if the bulb goes out when you close the
door.....

rustystuff2002

Yep, a couple of years ago I ran across a WWII surplus Ammco line boring machine, still in the crate and still covered with cosmoline.  It was in great shape.  Only somewhat older and in better shape than me...

Greg