Tailstock #2MT reamer (REPLY) #2mt

chris_c_willis <williscebay@...>

Thanks to all who responded to my message. This message board is
truly a great help to a newbie. I ordered a hand reamer, and some
marking dye from Enco this morning.

Last night I mounted the work into the lathe with the tailstock quill
fully extended. While pushing on the work, I measured the travel of
the tailstock quill and the live center.

The Tailstock quill moved less than .003
The live center moved about .010
(I was pushing pretty hard when measuring)

I have not been able to make chips without alot of chatter.
Hopefully this is will fix the problem, and I can go onto learning.

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@y...>
wrote:

--- In southbendlathe@..., "REBEL"
<bill_collins14@y...>
wrote:

I agree.More than likely just simple hand pressure with a reamer
will
clean up the MT bore.

GB
Bill C.
When I did my drill press, the internal burrs were pretty hard.

I found that taking one good cut was enough and that there was no
noticable increase in how deep the other tooling went.

Dave

Thomas G Brandl

Chris,
I wouldn't worry about .003 Quill movenent. When you use the lock
down on the quill, it will push it to one side.
Tom
_____________
This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.

chris_c_willis <williscebay@...>

For all measurements, I did have the lockdown engaged. Is .003 still
acceptable?

--- In southbendlathe@..., Thomas.G.Brandl@c... wrote:

Chris,
I wouldn't worry about .003 Quill movenent. When you use the
lock
down on the quill, it will push it to one side.
Tom
_____________
This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended
solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may
contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If
you
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.

Thomas G Brandl

Chris,
Try it without it being locked down. Also, the .003 might come from
other factors, if you push hard enough. Also, whats good enough for one
person might not be acceptable for another. Really depends on the type of
parts and accuracy you need/want. Its also hard to determine what is going
on without being there. I am thinking you might look at the ways/tailstock.
If the tailstock was shimmed up, then there is probably wear there.
Tom

| | chris_c_willis |
| | <williscebay@hotm|
| | ail.com> |
| | |
| | 12/21/2004 12:38 |
| | PM |
| | Please respond to|
| | southbendlathe |
| | |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: southbendlathe@... |
| cc: |
| Subject: [southbendlathe] Re: Tailstock #2MT reamer (REPLY) |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

For all measurements, I did have the lockdown engaged. Is .003 still
acceptable?

--- In southbendlathe@..., Thomas.G.Brandl@c... wrote:

Chris,
I wouldn't worry about .003 Quill movenent. When you use the
lock
down on the quill, it will push it to one side.
Tom
_____________
This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended
solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may
contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If
you
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@...
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@...
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@...