9" Face plate blanks

BOB WRIGHT

Would anyone in the group be interested in 9" cast iron face plate
blanks? I am going down to my local foundry to see about a price.
Email me offline if interested..Bob aametalmaster@...

Dave Mucha

--- In southbendlathe@..., "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
<aametalmaster@y...> wrote:

Would anyone in the group be interested in 9" cast iron face plate
blanks? I am going down to my local foundry to see about a price.
Email me offline if interested..Bob aametalmaster@y...

Local Foundry ????

Man that must be nice !

What type of prices do they charge ?

Dave

BOB WRIGHT

Dave,
Yep right up the street. I have a couple of buddys that work there. I
am going there Weds my day off. They charge by the pound. I can make
the patterns...Bob

Local Foundry ????
Man that must be nice !
What type of prices do they charge ?
Dave

Marshall Smith <nwbm@...>

Bob.................
If you are thinking there will be a good price break for a volume order I would like to get on the list for one. If, like you say, they charge by the pound then it won't make any difference. I would still like to know what they will run.
Thanks
Marshall

Yep right up the street. I have a couple of buddys that work there. I
am going there Weds my day off. They charge by the pound. I can make
the patterns...Bob
> Local Foundry ????
> Man that must be nice !
> What type of prices do they charge ?
> Dave

BOB WRIGHT

I have my bonus check coming, can't think of anything better to spend
it on. 1 a bigger lathe, 2 lots of steel for projects...Bob
--- In southbendlathe@..., "Marshall Smith" <nwbm@q...>
wrote:
Bob.................
If you are thinking there will be a good price break for a volume
order I would like to get on the list for one. If, like you say, they
charge by the pound then it won't make any difference. I would still
like to know what they will run.
Thanks
Marshall
Yep right up the street. I have a couple of buddys that work
there. I
am going there Weds my day off. They charge by the pound. I can
make
the patterns...Bob
> Local Foundry ????
> Man that must be nice !
> What type of prices do they charge ?
> Dave

tml
Post: mailto:southbendlathe@...
Email Moderators: mailto:southbendlathe-owner@...
* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@...
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@...
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@...

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

<aametalmaster@y...> wrote:

Dave,
Yep right up the street. I have a couple of buddys that work there.
am going there Weds my day off. They charge by the pound. I can
make
the patterns...Bob

Wood patterns ?

Shoulda asked what part of the country? Shipping could easly out-
price some stuff.

Ideas :

a fixed, clamp on carriage as the basis of a CNC clamp on fixture.

A channel for a CNC axis, probably 6" wide, by 10 inches long, by 1/2
thick with the legs of the channel 1/2 thick by 2 inches.

large dia steady rest for my 9"

Great.... now All I'll be thinking about all day is the
possibilities.....

Dave

pjwizr_1999 <pjwizr_1999@...>

Thanks for the info,

Count me in as interested. I would like to see faceplate blanks,
steadyrest, cathead, traveling steady, toolpost mods, tailstock
specialties ( die holder, live tail, thru-hole types, etc.)etc. maybe
we could get a local ( groupwise that is) to do the basic machining
of the bases and clamps for a batch so that those without a mill or
shaper could enjoy the wealth also. I can do some clamps but probably
not the bases.

If you are thinking there will be a good price break for a volume
order I would like to get on the list for one. If, like you say,
they
charge by the pound then it won't make any difference. I would
still
like to know what they will run.

dirigo28 <dirigo28@...>

Keep in mind, MLA sells a very nice 8 1/2" faceplate for $45.00.

http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/index.html

Ed P

BOB WRIGHT

Yes and it is a nice one, but i don't want the t slots. If they made
a flat faced one i would send in my check today...Bob
--- In southbendlathe@..., "dirigo28" <dirigo28@y...>
wrote:

Keep in mind, MLA sells a very nice 8 1/2" faceplate for $45.00.

http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/index.html

Ed P

Scott S. Logan <ssl@...>

On Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:08 AM, BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
<mailto:aametalmaster@...> wrote:

Yes and it is a nice one, but i don't want the t slots. If they made
a flat faced one i would send in my check today...Bob --- In
Get your checkbook out.

The Faceplate shown at:

http://tinyurl.com/4q96k

Is a kit including a casting, drawings and machining instructions.

Metal Lathe Accessories (Andy Lofquist) will probably be at Cabin Fever and
NAMES. I know he usually sells out all the sets he brings, so if you want
something, contact him in advance, and you can probably save shipping costs
that way.

--
Scott S. Logan, Vice President Tel +1 (815) 943-9500
Logan Actuator Co. Fax +1 (815) 943-6755

dirigo28 <dirigo28@...>

<aametalmaster@y...> wrote:

Yes and it is a nice one, but I don't want the t-slots.
I don't know what you have against t-slots. They have come
in handy over the years, including those tapped holes.

Ed P

George Taylor, IV

Bob,

That faceplate is not machined, so you can eliminate the
slots. You will, however, need to machine the threads, register, etc.

George

wrote:

Keep in mind, MLA sells a very nice 8 1/2" faceplate for $45.00.

http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/index.html

Ed P

* * * * *
Stop delivery: southbendlathe-nomail@...
Daily digest mode: southbendlathe-digest@...
Individual emails: southbendlathe-normal@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

BOB WRIGHT

Hi guys, Before all this gets out of hand. A. the MLA face plate will
not work for what i want t slots or not the OD is too small. B. I
just spoke to the foundry they are working up some numbers. So THANKS
to everyone that posted to the group. If anyone has any questions
please sent to me offline. Thanks...Bob
--- In southbendlathe@..., "George Taylor, IV"

wrote:

Keep in mind, MLA sells a very nice 8 1/2" faceplate for $45.00.

http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/index.html

Ed P

Also, Keep in mind that the $45 is for the green casting, not a
finished part.

If you want a cheap source of CI for a faceplate, considder a dumb-
bell weight or weightlifters weight of appropriate size.

Dave

Marshall Smith <nwbm@...>

Hello Bob............
I hate to be dense but I'm not too good with acronyms. What is MLA? I just got to thinking that folks like myself who only have a 9" lathe are going to have one heck of a time machining our own 9" face plates unless there is a boss of sufficient size protruding from both sides of the blank that can be chucked up in our machines, or if only from one side then the blank would have to be thick enough to turn one on the other side. If my thinking is off (not unheard of) please correct me.
Thanks
Marshall