R8 Collets & #3MT Adapter #3mt

garyphansen

How would a R8 collet with a #3MT adapter work for holding end mills
for milling with my 9" SB. Years ago I turned a couple of #3 MT end
mill holders that worked fine but only holds the end mill size I made
them for (with a set serew). Has anyone out there used a R8 collet
with an #3 MT adapter? Are the adapter drilled so you can use a draw
bar?

Gary P. Hansen
ENGINEERING DRAFTING SERVICES

Stan Stocker <skstocker@...>

Hi Gary,

Maybe I'm misreading the question, but an R8 collet won't fit into an MT3 socket, the OD of the collet is larger than the taper bore. I've seen R8 to MT3 adapters for use in mills and such, but haven't seen MT3 to R8. I think you would end up with around 4 inches of adapter body out past the spindle.

MT3 end mill holders are readily available, and import ones are pretty low cost.

Cheers,
Stan

garyphansen wrote:

How would a R8 collet with a #3MT adapter work for holding end mills for milling with my 9" SB. Years ago I turned a couple of #3 MT end mill holders that worked fine but only holds the end mill size I made them for (with a set serew). Has anyone out there used a R8 collet with an #3 MT adapter? Are the adapter drilled so you can use a draw bar? Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen

Stan:
Thanks Stan, you read me right and stopped me from doing something
stupid. The only #3 MT end mill holders I have seen are only
available in 3/8" & 1/2" and those are the two sizes that I made
years ago. Do you know where I could buy other sizes?

Gary P. Hansen

James Benjamin <eeengineer@...>

--- In southbendlathe@..., "garyphansen"
<garyphansen@j...> wrote:

Stan:
Thanks Stan, you read me right and stopped me from doing something
stupid. The only #3 MT end mill holders I have seen are only
available in 3/8" & 1/2" and those are the two sizes that I made
years ago. Do you know where I could buy other sizes?

Gary P. Hansen
When I got my Phase II tool post from ENCO about a month ago There
was an ENCO Outlet flyer included. There is a 5 pc set of 3MT endmill
holders 3/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 for $69.99
Model # VQ307-2861.

They are not in the regular catalog.
They have a tanged end not a draw bar end

Jim B.