Heavy 10 spindle speeds ???

indyducati <indyducati@yahoo.com> <indyducati@...>

Hello folks,

Here's another newby question :-)

I have not found any information on on the speed ranges of the
spindles. I want to be able to turn aluminum and small diameters.
From this, I assume I'd want speeds up to 2000 rpm ?
From the parts lists I've looked at, all of the spindles turn in
plain bearings. Doesn't this effect the rpms a lathe will turn ?
Do any of the South Bends use ball or roller bearings for the
spindles ?

Thanks,

Steve Rosenbaum
Indianapolis, IN

Thomas G Brandl

Steve,
There are other aplications that use plain bearings that run at
higher RPM. For a 1 inch diameter aluminum piece your RPM would be around
2000 RPM. I fly model R/C airplanes. Some of the motors use plain bearings
and others use roller bearings. Most think the roller bearings give and
advantage in performance. According to one manufacture (Fox), there is no
performance gain. But the plain bearings do take longer to break in. I do
think even our lathes would need and initial break in period. I do have a
CNC lathe that says to run the spindle at a certian RPM for a few hours
when new. Also, Car motors use plain bearings. They reguarly run in the
2000-4000 RPM range. I would recomend to use synthetic oil or lubricants.
THese can take a higher load and RPM. From what I've heard, they generally
show little or no wear in car motors at 100,000 miles. I do use them in my
car. The main draw back is cost. $1.50 for regular oil vs $4.75 for full
synthetic. I justify this with longer intervals in oil change (10,000 miles
vs 3,000 miles) and a 2mpg increase. Back to model airplanes, there are
ceramic ball bearings available for them. From what I understand they only
are needed when you are looking at 30,000 RPM. (OK a bit of the subject).
Still, I think the main advantage of the ball bearings in this aplication
is ease of maintenance. With wear the bearings create an air gap or the
seal goes out. This causes an unreliable idle. The ball bearing can be
rediably replaced.
Maybe someone on the board has direct experience running aluminum on
a heavy ten for a period of time. Still, I wouldn't be to concerned and run
synthetics. Feel the head stock during running. It should get warm, but not
hot to the touch.
Tom
Columbus, IN

"indyducati <indyducati@yahoo.com>" <indyducati on 01/07/2003 04:27:08 PM

Please respond to southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com

To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
cc:
Subject: [southbendlathe] Heavy 10 spindle speeds ???

Hello folks,

Here's another newby question :-)

I have not found any information on on the speed ranges of the
spindles. I want to be able to turn aluminum and small diameters.
From this, I assume I'd want speeds up to 2000 rpm ?
From the parts lists I've looked at, all of the spindles turn in
plain bearings. Doesn't this effect the rpms a lathe will turn ?
Do any of the South Bends use ball or roller bearings for the
spindles ?

Thanks,

Steve Rosenbaum
Indianapolis, IN

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.