Smallest Lathe with Taper Attaachment ?

Jackie Blake

Does anyone know what the smallest lathe ever made with a taper
attachment ? We travel a lot in our RV so I thought on rainy days
sometimes it might be nice to have some little lathe,all boxed up on
board that I could set up and wile away the day. TV & radio get
boring as heck and getting too old to chase the cook !!

k3vyl

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "jaxinbc <jackie.blake@t...>"
<jackie.blake@t...> wrote:
Does anyone know what the smallest lathe ever made with a taper
attachment ? We travel a lot in our RV so I thought on rainy days
sometimes it might be nice to have some little lathe,all boxed up
on
board that I could set up and wile away the day. TV & radio get
boring as heck and getting too old to chase the cook !!
The Unimat SL doesnt have a taper attachment,but you can offset the
headstock and cut tepers with it.There is a Unimat group on yahoo,so
you can go over there and take a look. RC

gorvil

Hi Jackie,

Seems funny for me to say that, my sister's name is Jackie.

I have had a Sherline lathe and milling column accessory for years.
You cut tapers by offsetting the headstock, the same as the Unimat.
Sherline has a huge array of accessories and such. You can check
them out on line WWW.Sherline.com and on a very active group on Yahoo.

I took my lathe into the class I taught in metal casting at the local
community college. It is very portable.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "k3vyl <k3vyl@e...>"
<jackie.blake@t...> wrote:
Does anyone know what the smallest lathe ever made with a taper
attachment ? We travel a lot in our RV so I thought on rainy days
sometimes it might be nice to have some little lathe,all boxed up
on
board that I could set up and wile away the day. TV & radio get
boring as heck and getting too old to chase the cook !!
The Unimat SL doesnt have a taper attachment,but you can offset
the
headstock and cut tepers with it.There is a Unimat group on
yahoo,so
you can go over there and take a look. RC

Stan Stocker <skstocker@...>

I don't know the smallest to ever have a taper attachment, but the Sherline has the ability to swivel the lathe headstock to allow turning short tapers. You could also look at customizing a Taig and making the taper attachment.

Cheers,
Stan

jaxinbc wrote:

Does anyone know what the smallest lathe ever made with a taper attachment ? We travel a lot in our RV so I thought on rainy days sometimes it might be nice to have some little lathe,all boxed up on board that I could set up and wile away the day. TV & radio get boring as heck and getting too old to chase the cook !!

no1tigman

This could be one of the smallest lathes but I don't think a taper
attachment is available,you could make one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&category=13876&item=753200535&rd=1

<jackie.blake@t...> wrote:
Does anyone know what the smallest lathe ever made with a taper
attachment ? We travel a lot in our RV so I thought on rainy days
sometimes it might be nice to have some little lathe,all boxed up
on
board that I could set up and wile away the day. TV & radio get
boring as heck and getting too old to chase the cook !!

Clint D <driggars@...>

You can look at the Clisby mini's, not sue about a taper attachment though,
but you can use a boring head in the tailstock to do tapers
Clint

jaxinbc wrote:
Does anyone know what the smallest lathe ever made with a taper
attachment ? We travel a lot in our RV so I thought on rainy days
sometimes it might be nice to have some little lathe,all boxed up on
board that I could set up and wile away the day. TV & radio get
boring as heck and getting too old to chase the cook !!

lurchix <lurch@theramp.net> <lurch@...>

Have you looked at those RVs where the front 15 feet has all the RV
interior stuff, and the back half is empty, with a rollup garage door
in the rear? You could get a Heavy 10 in there no problem...<chuckle>

alphawolf45

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "lurchix <lurch@t...>"
<lurch@t...> wrote:
Have you looked at those RVs where the front 15 feet has all the RV
interior stuff, and the back half is empty, with a rollup garage
door
in the rear? You could get a Heavy 10 in there no
problem...<chuckle>

Yeah Then when the cook gets a metal shaving in her foot she will
chase you ! (Laughing out loud)
Steven

gorvil

Don't buy a Clisby. It is truly a toy. I bought one and after rebuilding it with bronze bearings instead of aluminum on the leadscrew, turning a 4 step pulley system, adding a sewing machine motor instead of the tiny 12 volt DC motor it comes with, refitting it with the old knobs from my Sherline after replacing the Sherline knobs with larger ones and making a gib system that worked, I gave it to a jeweller friend of mine to turn waxes for casting. He's happy with it now but nobody on this list would be unless as an improvement project like mine.

Glen Reeser