Topics

New to the group

mitchjack40 <MLera95325@...>

Hi all been hiding in the backround for a spell and like what I see.
Looking for some help with my new addition "SB 9" #38339 3 1/2'"
modea A. Its a rebuilder. Have some ? The tail stock has a hole
directly infront of the spindel hold down (think its a oil hole not
sure) what is the size of the drive gears for the gear selector? and
is there a use for the banjo? any help? Thanks! Mike

billt051 <billt1951@...>

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the group!

For an answer to the hole in the tailstock question, search the
archives for 'dauber' you'll see this question has been asked before.

Can't help you with the other questions, but I'm sure others will
help! Guys...

Regards,

Bill Thornley
Sydney, Aus.

--- In southbendlathe@y..., "billt051" <billt1951@h...> wrote:
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the group!

For an answer to the hole in the tailstock question, search the
archives for 'dauber' you'll see this question has been asked
before.

Can't help you with the other questions, but I'm sure others will
help! Guys...

Regards,

Bill Thornley
Sydney, Aus.
Thanks Bill

--- In southbendlathe@y..., "mitchjack40" <MLera95325@a...> wrote:
Hi all been hiding in the backround for a spell and like what I
see.
Looking for some help with my new addition "SB 9" #38339 3 1/2'"
modea A. Its a rebuilder. Have some ? The tail stock has a hole
directly infront of the spindel hold down (think its a oil hole
not
sure) what is the size of the drive gears for the gear selector?
and
is there a use for the banjo? any help? Thanks! Mike

robert boyd

I am a newbie to this group, I live in Vermont having retired from Long Island NY 7 years ago and go by the name Bobbycoke as I was a cocacola route man on LI for 42 years and was locally known as "bobbycoke". Pop was a mechanic/machinist and could do anything, taught me how to "do things" as such had access to a modest shop [as they all were back in those days........we had a SB 9C and I cut my teeth learning on that at a very young age..........Had not had access to a lathe for 40 years so when I saw one [SB 9C] for sale I had to buy it......had to take it apart [ it was in a basement to rermove it] did not believe how weak I have become as each part 7 [pieces ] weighs 250 lbs !!!!!! OK a little less but felt like it I now have it in my shop in pieces which I intend to clean and where neccessary restore although it appears a good cleaning , new felts , belt and reassembly is all thet is required.........will use all of your collective knowledge to achieve this.......bobbycoke

Donn Perkins

Hello all,  I just joined as well although I currently do not own a SB lathe.  I do own a Atlas618 and am a member of that Yahoo group.  I bought that lathe a couple of years ago and completely stripped it down, refinished it and have used it for several projects.  It was a very fun and learning experience but now I want to step it a notch (or several?) and am looking for a South Bend 9C or 10.  So that brings me here.  I live in Seattle.  Just missed a SB9C on CL for $1200.  It was gone immediately!  Got a leader on a 9A which may be available soon but if anyone in this group knows of a nice machine for sale let me know.  Thanks.

Nfwood

Hold out for a 9a if you can.  You won't regret it!

Nelson Wood

Hello all,  I just joined as well although I currently do not own a SB lathe.  I do own a Atlas618 and am a member of that Yahoo group.  I bought that lathe a couple of years ago and completely stripped it down, refinished it and have used it for several projects.  It was a very fun and learning experience but now I want to step it a notch (or several?) and am looking for a South Bend 9C or 10.  So that brings me here.  I live in Seattle.  Just missed a SB9C on CL for $1200.  It was gone immediately!  Got a leader on a 9A which may be available soon but if anyone in this group knows of a nice machine for sale let me know.  Thanks.

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

Its my friends its partly apart but i Very Good Condition let me know and ill telll him if he still has it!
Alec