Topics

1940s 10L Headstock Available

David Meyer

Edited

Hello,
Have lurked on the SB Yahoo sites for years but John suggested I post here.
I posted a headstock that was a spare to a 10L I sold to a friend. He did not wish to purchase this head though it was much nicer than the one bought. No damage to any teeth. Not rusted. Bull pin is nice and clicky(I mention that because my lathe's was not and would even pop out of back gears). All parts on this are nicer than what I had but I never tried to fit it up. All appears to work well with the exception of the brass leadscrew direction handle. I loved that this was tight and intact and worked well on this head until I myself grazed it with the side of my foot. The handle is present but will need to be silver soldered. I hate that and it's my fault this time! There is tape over the spindle threads in the pics. It is currently at home in the middle of my garage. I miss my WWII 10L but a larger Clausing came my way in better shape so doubt I will ever use this headstock. Interestingly, I made some sheave repair parts for the Clausing on my 10L before I sold it. Ironic?
I'm in the Kansas City area and would certainly prefer not to box and ship this. Market price or less for a pain free transaction.
Dave

David Meyer

Thought there might be a modicum of interest. I kept this thinking the heavy 10 was desirable(sure was when I found mine) but since I sold my lathe for $1000 I didn't feel that warranted the extra head be included.
Dave

Bill in OKC too

Dave, I'm mildly interested, but majorly broke right now. Wife is having multiple health issues, as is usual for her, and we spent way too much dealing with her shoulder surgery in October and subsequent recovery, plus buying my 10L. Recently we determined that she may have breast cancer. Investigating that now. Ultrasound appointment  Monday. In six months to a year I may be able to talk to you about it, but don't hold your breath waiting. 

My 10L is a 1941, and I paid $950 for it. I'm working on it as I have time and money, but gotta take care of her first. A firm price would help me figure out if there is even a chance of my being able to buy it.

Bill in OKC

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/18/19 12:39 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 1940s 10L Headstock Available

Thought there might be a modicum of interest. I kept this thinking the heavy 10 was desirable(sure was when I found mine) but since I sold my lathe for $1000 I didn't feel that warranted the extra head be included.
Dave

Douglas Oglesby

Hello, How much are you asking for it?  What is the general condition and what is the chuck mount, threaded, D1?  Where are you located and will you ship it?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:03 PM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dave, I'm mildly interested, but majorly broke right now. Wife is having multiple health issues, as is usual for her, and we spent way too much dealing with her shoulder surgery in October and subsequent recovery, plus buying my 10L. Recently we determined that she may have breast cancer. Investigating that now. Ultrasound appointment  Monday. In six months to a year I may be able to talk to you about it, but don't hold your breath waiting. 

My 10L is a 1941, and I paid $950 for it. I'm working on it as I have time and money, but gotta take care of her first. A firm price would help me figure out if there is even a chance of my being able to buy it.

Bill in OKC

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

-------- Original message --------
From: "David Meyer via Groups.Io" <dmar836=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: 1/18/19 12:39 PM (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 1940s 10L Headstock Available

Dave

David Meyer

The friend I purchased the lathe from paid $500 for this backup head. Not sure what they have actually sold for but I have seen them for sale for less although not anywhere near in this condition. Let's say $400 if someone picks it up. I understand something is only worth what someone will give for it. I do think that shipping would be a killer though. 
Dave
KC 

David Meyer

Hope this doesn't double post but here is a pic of the spindle nose with the protective tape removed. Threads look nice.
Best,
Dave
Kansas City

David Meyer

Spring update:
This 10L head is still in the garage and has to go. Thought I would repost this here quickly before I give it to the fellow who bought my lathe. The brass reverse tumbler knob has been repaired via silver solder as I didn't want to rehome it less than fully functional. The buyer is a friend and doesn't really use the lathe much and doesn't see the need for an extra head but he will get it if there is no further interest.
$350 with local pick up in Kansas city area. Might list it on PM but will likely be moved on by this weekend.
Cheers,
Dave

Faith Banini <faithbanini@...>

Hi David
It will be a great idea to list it on eBay. You may even get a better deal.
Faith

David Meyer

Great idea! I think eBay has done enough for their flailing site without any more of my help.