Topics

1940 Popular Science

bclong7@...

I was looking at the Google archive of Popular Science Magazine today, and in the September, 1940 issue I found an article titled "The Home Workshop".  And on the first page of the article is a man happily un-crating his brand new South Bend Lathe!  I happened to notice a 5 digit number (either 97443 or 97993) handwritten on the side of the crate.  Sure enough, according to Steve Wells' database, that is a valid serial number for a new 1940 lathe.  One wonders if that is a self portrait - and if it indeed shows a real shipping crate for a 1940 lathe....

Bernie

https://www.avg.com

Steven H

That shows a lucky guy, don’t think too many people back in the 1940’s would be able to afford a new lathe for their home workshop.

Steve Haskell

On Oct 20, 2019, at 6:05 PM, bclong7@... wrote:

I was looking at the Google archive of Popular Science Magazine today, and in the September, 1940 issue I found an article titled "The Home Workshop". And on the first page of the article is a man happily un-crating his brand new South Bend Lathe! I happened to notice a 5 digit number (either 97443 or 97993) handwritten on the side of the crate. Sure enough, according to Steve Wells' database, that is a valid serial number for a new 1940 lathe. One wonders if that is a self portrait - and if it indeed shows a real shipping crate for a 1940 lathe....

Bernie

https://www.avg.com

<1940 new SB lathe.jpg>

RJ White

Great picture . And look how clean the guy is, wow.

On Oct 20, 2019, at 3:05 PM, bclong7@... wrote:

I was looking at the Google archive of Popular Science Magazine today, and in the September, 1940 issue I found an article titled "The Home Workshop". And on the first page of the article is a man happily un-crating his brand new South Bend Lathe! I happened to notice a 5 digit number (either 97443 or 97993) handwritten on the side of the crate. Sure enough, according to Steve Wells' database, that is a valid serial number for a new 1940 lathe. One wonders if that is a self portrait - and if it indeed shows a real shipping crate for a 1940 lathe....

Bernie

https://www.avg.com

<1940 new SB lathe.jpg>

EC

I saw a similar advertisement in Popular Mechanics for a Southbend lathe starting at $115 and up in the 1940s.

Let’s say that a fully loaded 9 would be around double that price ($230), in today’s dollars that would be $4,027.50.

Not terrible but probably outside the realm of the home hobbyists at the time as the Great Depression (1930-1939) was just ending.

On Oct 20, 2019, at 6:05 PM, bclong7@... wrote:

I was looking at the Google archive of Popular Science Magazine today, and in the September, 1940 issue I found an article titled "The Home Workshop". And on the first page of the article is a man happily un-crating his brand new South Bend Lathe! I happened to notice a 5 digit number (either 97443 or 97993) handwritten on the side of the crate. Sure enough, according to Steve Wells' database, that is a valid serial number for a new 1940 lathe. One wonders if that is a self portrait - and if it indeed shows a real shipping crate for a 1940 lathe....

Bernie

https://www.avg.com

<1940 new SB lathe.jpg>

George Burton

$212.00 would buy one in 1938 on the installment plan.

EC

Looks like interest free financing.  I wonder if they still do that!

Cool piece of memorabilia.

On Oct 20, 2019, at 10:30 PM, George Burton via Groups.Io <geobur657@...> wrote:

$
<1938 Lathe.jpg>
212.00 would buy one in 1938 on the installment plan.

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

Wow, price went down! And no interest financing. He got a great deal.

image1.jpeg