From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2020 9:16 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] 1925 9” Lathe restoration

Hello all,

Anybody have any parts available for a 1925 SB 9” lathe?

I am in need of a longitudinal feed knob that mounts on the lower right center of the apron... The original is missing, and I’d like to source a proper replacement part rather than make one.

Here’s a general pic from the SB 1925 catalog.

Also, a long shot I am sure. But looking for a replacement countershaft.  The PO threw away the original countershaft assembly, as it was “attracting cobwebs and dust out in the garage”... So sort of half heartedly seeking an original replacement.  If anyone has one hanging around, and no Lathe attached to it, please let me know.

Thanks much,
Glenn

Richard

Glenn,
An extra p[air of eyes can help. I found nearly everything needed  to reassemble six early 9" and one 11" SBL on ebay
Best Regards,
Richard

Anybody have any parts available for a 1925 SB 9” lathe?

I am in need of a longitudinal feed knob that mounts on the lower right center of the apron... The original is missing, and I’d like to source a proper replacement part rather than make one.

Here’s a general pic from the SB 1925 catalog.

Also, a long shot I am sure. But looking for a replacement countershaft.  The PO threw away the original countershaft assembly, as it was “attracting cobwebs and dust out in the garage”... So sort of half heartedly seeking an original replacement.  If anyone has one hanging around, and no Lathe attached to it, please let me know.

Thanks much,
Glenn

glenn brooks

Thanks Richard,

Much appreciated.  I must not have put the right search parameters in when I looked on eBay.  Looks like this could work!

Glenn

On Sep 7, 2020, at 7:50 PM, Richard <rishelaverne@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Bickers

That knobs a tad pricey.  Ive got amd old 9" series o I may be forced to part out. Ill know in a week or so. Roger

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 9:17 PM, glenn brooks
<brooks.glenn@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Anybody have any parts available for a 1925 SB 9” lathe?

I am in need of a longitudinal feed knob that mounts on the lower right center of the apron... The original is missing, and I’d like to source a proper replacement part rather than make one.

Here’s a general pic from the SB 1925 catalog.

Also, a long shot I am sure. But looking for a replacement countershaft.  The PO threw away the original countershaft assembly, as it was “attracting cobwebs and dust out in the garage”... So sort of half heartedly seeking an original replacement.  If anyone has one hanging around, and no Lathe attached to it, please let me know.

Thanks much,
Glenn

glenn brooks

Hi Roger, thanks.  Let me know.  Might be looking for a steady rest also.  My SB9 was made in 1925 and still has the original flaking marks on the bed. Basically it went in storage a few years after yhe original owner purchased it.  So almost brand new mechanically speaking.

I’d like to restore it to its original workshop condition, to the extent possible.

Glenn

<brooks.glenn@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Anybody have any parts available for a 1925 SB 9” lathe?

I am in need of a longitudinal feed knob that mounts on the lower right center of the apron... The original is missing, and I’d like to source a proper replacement part rather than make one.

Here’s a general pic from the SB 1925 catalog.

Also, a long shot I am sure. But looking for a replacement countershaft.  The PO threw away the original countershaft assembly, as it was “attracting cobwebs and dust out in the garage”... So sort of half heartedly seeking an original replacement.  If anyone has one hanging around, and no Lathe attached to it, please let me know.

Thanks much,
Glenn

Roger Bickers

Mines put up right now and ive got a ton of things to do before winter. Ill dig mine out and look at it closer. I'm not sure what to do with it. .. save it, or part it out.
Roger