moderated sticky 10l gear problem #10l

jahick4@...

Hi All,

I planned on taking on my first threading operation today by making a 3/4” 8-tpi acme tap, but unfortunately, I encountered a pretty significant issue and am wondering if you guys might be able to help me out. Basically, it appears that the gear that engages when you push the sliding gear in (to select the lower speed range) was replaced by a gear that doesn’t quite fit at one point and was welded on to the small gear that goes in front of it. It’s not off by a huge amount, but it’s just slightly too big to mesh with the spur gear when you push in. The higher speed range works just fine.

The gear in question is part pt652r2. I’ve only gotten one hit on the part number, and it’s from a guy trying (successfully) to find one. Does anybody have any ideas? Any advice would be appreciated.

respectfully,

John Hicks
Weymouth, MA

Here are a couple of images:

Guenther Paul

John give me the measurements of the gear you need amount of teeth, with bore and if it has a keyway need that. I have some spare gears
GP

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 5:40 PM, "jahick4@..." <jahick4@...> wrote:

[...]

John is your lathe a 9"
GP

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 6:45 PM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim_B

Paul

It’s a heavy 10.

That gear looks all wrong.

Its called a compound gear, lower gear engaging it should not stick out so far.

I believe the large gear is 64 tooth and the small gear is 22.

If so I have one. It’s a back-up. When I got my lathe the large gear had three missing teeth that had been repaired with braze. They stripped again real quick.

Dennis Turk gave me a repaired on that has lasted 10 years now.

I purchased the one I have from either

http://www.lostcreekmachine.com/

or

http://www.plazamachinery.com/

Plaza seems to have gone out of business.

I believe the one I have cost me about $90. I hate to get rid of it but; it’s yours for the same amount plus shipping if yours measures the same.

Jim B.

Jim B.

[...]

Thanks for being so quick to help, gentlemen. I really appreciate it greatly.

Jim, I do believe that is exactly what I’m looking for. If you’re sure that you’re willing to sell it, I’ll gladly buy it from you. Please just let me know how you’d have me proceed.

Respectfully,

John

Jim_B

Also Try latheman2@...

Jim B.

Jim B

Jim_B

Again first try TED at Latheman2@... If he does not have one get back to me.

I can take PayPal.

I think $6 will cover shipping.

Jim B.

Thanks for being so quick to help, gentlemen. I really appreciate it greatly.

Jim, I do believe that is exactly what I’m looking for. If you’re sure that you’re willing to sell it, I’ll gladly buy it from you. Please just let me know how you’d have me proceed.

Respectfully,

John

Jim B

Guenther Paul

I will look in the morning send me your phone number to my private e-mail. I will call you
GP

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 7:57 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Again first try TED at Latheman2@... If he does not have one get back to me.
I can take PayPal.
I think $6 will cover shipping.

Jim B.

Thanks for being so quick to help, gentlemen. I really appreciate it greatly.

Jim, I do believe that is exactly what I’m looking for. If you’re sure that you’re willing to sell it, I’ll gladly buy it from you. Please just let me know how you’d have me proceed.

Respectfully,

John

Jim B

jahick4@...

Roger that, Jim. Thanks very much. I’ll reach out to Ted.

Guenther, I’ll send my number your way now. Thank you very much.

Roger Bickers

John  that gtear can be found for sale on ebay new. Last i knew the guy had one left. If i recall correctly it was just under $100.00
You can also try Latheman here. Ted may have one also. That gears used on both 9 and 10" lathes. Be sure to count the teeth, and know the overall diameter as well as the bore.  But if memory serves me correctly, that gears supposed to be a press fit with dutchmen and with the oiling hole at t.d.c. on the banjo.  Better take the banjo off and inspect it from behind as well for any issues. Roger

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 6:52 PM, Guenther Paul
<paulguenter@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger,

Thanks very much for the info. I’m looking for that one you saw on eBay but can’t seem to find one that is correct for a heavy 10 like mine. It looks like the 9” and the light 10k both use that 72 tooth gear, but the 10l takes a 64 tooth gear with a larger diameter bore. I reached out to Ted, so hopefully he’ll have one available.

Respectfully,

John

Roger Bickers

John, i went and looked for it too after i made my comment and cant find it either. Perhaps its been sold? Ive got a 10L and an old 9 Junior thats been fitted with a qcgb that subsequently has if i remember correctly a10l banjo and gears on it. I'll try and look at them today and compare. One things for sure though other than that welded repair, the studs not right either. Roger

Apparently i forgt to hit send so heres pics of what ive got on my (wide)9 and my 10L (both have single tumbler gearboxes)  both have the same banjo and gears. Pic #1 (wide) 9, pic #2 10L

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 8:51 PM, jahick4@...
<jahick4@...> wrote:
Hi Roger,

Thanks very much for the info. I’m looking for that one you saw on eBay but can’t seem to find one that is correct for a heavy 10 like mine. It looks like the 9” and the light 10k both use that 72 tooth gear, but the 10l takes a 64 tooth gear with a larger diameter bore. I reached out to Ted, so hopefully he’ll have one available.

Respectfully,

John

Tony S

I found this listing on eBay  It comes up by putting the phrase below in the search bar.
Tony

10 INCH SOUTH BEND SINGLE TUMBLER IDLER GEAR AND SHAFT

<jahick4@...> wrote:
Hi Roger,

Thanks very much for the info. I’m looking for that one you saw on eBay but can’t seem to find one that is correct for a heavy 10 like mine. It looks like the 9” and the light 10k both use that 72 tooth gear, but the 10l takes a 64 tooth gear with a larger diameter bore. I reached out to Ted, so hopefully he’ll have one available.

Respectfully,

John

jahick4@...

Guys, I can’t thank you all enough for your help. I thought my eBay Fu was solid, but apparently, much to learn still, have I. Tony, you and Ted both sent me that same listing, and I snapped it up. What a price, too! The force is strong in you guys...

Roger, thanks for the information about the incorrect shaft and for providing the picture. I didn’t even consider that the shaft might not be the correct one, but it certainly makes sense that it would be.

Again, thank you all so much for taking the time to help me with this. This is really an awesome community that you have all built, and I hope that I can pay your kindness forward to others as I gain knowledge.

redoectfully,

john

Roger Bickers

Groovy John! Good luck and enjoy. Im sure we'll see you here again. Youve gotten the bug. Roger