10k cross slide nut question

George Meinschein

Group,
I'm finally getting around to refurbing my 10k. Pulled the cross slide apart yesterday and found an extra part I think. After taking the set screw and side wedge pin out of the brass cross slide nut, I noticed something non-brass in the bottom of the threaded hole where the set screw goes. A few taps and a second wedge pin fell out of the threaded hole. It had been at the bottom of threaded hole with the pointed end facing towards the bottom of the hole. Doesn't seem to appear on the parts diagrams that I checked. What do you all think? Attached photo shows the parts oriented as they were when installed.

Thanks, George Meinschein 150 Brittany Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 gmeinschein@... Cell#: 732-580-1736

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

--
-George M.

jordie Field

A mistake by a rookie at the factory when it was manufactured and fixed with a spacer?????

On May 9, 2022, at 6:57 PM, George Meinschein via groups.io <gmeinschein@...> wrote:

Group,
I'm finally getting around to refurbing my 10k. Pulled the cross slide apart yesterday and found an extra part I think. After taking the set screw and side wedge pin out of the brass cross slide nut, I noticed something non-brass in the bottom of the threaded hole where the set screw goes. A few taps and a second wedge pin fell out of the threaded hole. It had been at the bottom of threaded hole with the pointed end facing towards the bottom of the hole. Doesn't seem to appear on the parts diagrams that I checked. What do you all think? Attached photo shows the parts oriented as they were when installed.

Thanks, George Meinschein 150 Brittany Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 gmeinschein@... Cell#: 732-580-1736

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

--
-George M. IMG_20220509_193754715.jpg

Stuart Wilby

nice spare part, shouldn’t be there but it could have prevented the range of the set screw by fouling on it before the side pressure on the slug becomes effective. Probably been there from the start.