Date   
Re: 1945 SB 16/24 USVA Lathe

eddie.draper@btinternet.com
 

I'd say that's more than just a pivot!  It's a universal joint.  The lathe is obvioulsy intended for a mobile application, e.g. on board ship where the foundation between the 2 ends can twist dynamically.  Absolutely useless for trying to put a twist inot or take one out of the bed of the machine mounted on it.  The mounting will behave just like a 3 legged stool.

What might exist is some torsionally rigid structure at the top of the mountings that the lathe bed bolts to with 4 fasteners.  Those are the places to add or remove shims.  If there is only the swarf / coolant tray, then Unless you build a box structure, you're stuck with what you've got, twist-wise.

Check what you've got either with a parallel bar in the chuck and a DTI or by trying to turn a parallel.

Eddie

On Saturday, 25 April 2020, 18:37:55 BST, Don Verdiani via groups.io <dlverdiani@...> wrote:


Is that a pivoting pin attaching the leg to the foot?

 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason Rife via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 10:00 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 1945 SB 16/24 USVA Lathe

 

Hello Steve, here is a clear photo of the foot. Their is 4 holes for leveling the tail stock. There is no other ways to level these lathes. The 1945 16/24 lathe is also listed on MPLS Craigslist. =

Re: 1945 SB 16/24 USVA Lathe

Don Verdiani
 

Is that a pivoting pin attaching the leg to the foot?

 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason Rife via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 10:00 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 1945 SB 16/24 USVA Lathe

 

Hello Steve, here is a clear photo of the foot. Their is 4 holes for leveling the tail stock. There is no other ways to level these lathes. The 1945 16/24 lathe is also listed on MPLS Craigslist. =

Re: Things Beginning Milling Machine Users Need To Succeed

John Dammeyer
 

This is a bulk mail with lots of advertising on this web site.  The list of items could just as easily been posted as a text message to the group without all the advertising.  This same email has already been posted on a number of other groups word for word. 

 

I'd suggest the group owner either ban or at least moderate this user.

John

 

 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Faith Banini via groups.io
Sent: April-25-20 2:24 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Things Beginning Milling Machine Users Need To Succeed

 

 

Let’s assume you have a working CNC machine that you’ve just acquired, but that you know very little about CNC.  Let’s further assume it is a mill and that you will be focused on cutting metal.  You’re ready to start milling custom chopper parts, build a tool changer, or scratch build a Colt 1911 handgun.  With CNC, you can build almost anything and you’re chomping at the bit to get started on your pet projects.

 

Not so fast!  Remember, you just got the machine and you’re a beginner.  You’re not ready for those projects yet.If you have some idea how to make your first CNC parts, charge ahead with these 10 suggestions.

 

Here are 10 things you should focus on to maximize your chances of becoming quickly successful:

https://prezhost.com/2020/04/24/10-things-beginning-cnc-milling-machine-users-need-to-succeed/

 

Re: 1945 SB 16/24 USVA Lathe

Steven H
 

Thanks for the photo. I’d say the four holes are for lagging the foot to the floor, but, one could use shims under the foot. As massive as the bed is on a 16” SB (I have one, but mine has two legs on the TS end) you would think bed would not need to be twisted in order to level. I guess try leveling your lathe at the headstock end by using shims. My 16” has two screws, one in front side and one in rear side, of the short pedestal on the tailstock end between the bottom of the bed and the top of the chip tray. These are used to level the tailstock end by twisting the bed slightly. I have never taken it apart, so I don’t know what the adjusting mechanism is. Otherwise, make some cuts on a cylinder and see if the lathe cuts straight. Good luck. 

Steve Haskell

On Apr 25, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Jason Rife via groups.io <rifejason@...> wrote:

Hello Steve, here is a clear photo of the foot. Their is 4 holes for leveling the tail stock. There is no other ways to level these lathes. The 1945 16/24 lathe is also listed on MPLS Craigslist. =
<MVIMG_20200425_084011.jpg>

Re: 1945 SB 16/24 USVA Lathe

Jason Rife
 

Hello Steve, here is a clear photo of the foot. Their is 4 holes for leveling the tail stock. There is no other ways to level these lathes. The 1945 16/24 lathe is also listed on MPLS Craigslist. =

Things Beginning Milling Machine Users Need To Succeed

Faith Banini <faithbanini@...>
 

 
Let’s assume you have a working CNC machine that you’ve just acquired, but that you know very little about CNC.  Let’s further assume it is a mill and that you will be focused on cutting metal.  You’re ready to start milling custom chopper parts, build a tool changer, or scratch build a Colt 1911 handgun.  With CNC, you can build almost anything and you’re chomping at the bit to get started on your pet projects.
 
Not so fast!  Remember, you just got the machine and you’re a beginner.  You’re not ready for those projects yet.If you have some idea how to make your first CNC parts, charge ahead with these 10 suggestions.
 
Here are 10 things you should focus on to maximize your chances of becoming quickly successful:

https://prezhost.com/2020/04/24/10-things-beginning-cnc-milling-machine-users-need-to-succeed/
 

request for dimensions of the center pulley bearing of the (reeves) drive for 11 inch rockwell lathe

Nfwood
 

Seems to me that someone on this list posted dimensions of subject bearing noted above but I deleted it without thinking.  It was attached to an email message about 2 weeks ago???
Can anyone help?  

Thanks 

Nelson Wood

Re: 1949 SB 16/24 USAF Lathe

Steven H
 

There happens to be a 16/24 SB lathe for sale on eBay right now that has the pedestal foot on the tailstock end. Reviewing the photos of the machine I do not see the Allen screw hole in the front of the pedestal under the bed on the tailstock end. So I am at a loss as to how you are supposed to level the bed. The foot that fastens to the floor appears to have pivot shafts at right angles to each other. Seller is asking $5400 for the machine.

Steve Haskell

On Apr 24, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

I am sure this document is in the files section but I am attaching. I think it will provide some information.


On Apr 24, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Matt R <mrissmiller@...> wrote:

My 16/24 has a foot on the tailstock end. How do I go about leveling and getting the twist out of the bed? Can I just do all levelling at the headstock end? Currently it is sitting on rubber pad (hockey pucks). 1 under each of the 2 bolt bosses on the headstock end and 3 under the foot at the tailstock end.

Jim B.





--
Jim B
<SB-Leveling.pdf>

Re: Introduction/Information

Bill in OKC too
 

Actually, having that information can help you find the proper parts and tell you how your lathe was originally equipped. I'm a cheap SOB, and it was the first thing I bought after getting my 1941 Heavy 10 home. The next was a 5-gallon bucket of EvapoRust. Naturally, YMMV. ;)

Bill in OKC

Sent from Outlook Mobile




On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM -0500, "Andrei" <calciu1@...> wrote:

I contemplated buying that serial number card information for my lathe, but after seeing one of the cards, I decided that 25 bucks will buy me something more important, like beer or a hot dog. I did not find that information to be of any use other than trivia. 

Of course, your mileage may vary and if that kind of information provides you joy, then, by all means, order the card. 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 3:42 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
 
John,  one interesting thing you can do is email or call Grizzly tools and purchase the original purchase card for your lathe.  They will send you a PDF of the card, showing date manufactured and delivered, also who it was purchased by.  Cost is $25.

Grizzly operates a separate business name of South Bend Lathes or similar. They responded to my request for a card in February in one day.

Glenn 


On Apr 24, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

You are in luck, John.

We have a plethora of manuals in the files section and many of us have SB 9a lathes. 

Check out the files section and if you don't find the stuff there, start asking questions. With everybody locked up in the house because of the virus, you should get answers pretty darn fast. 

Welcome aboard 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of jchammonds@... <jchammonds@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 11:20 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
 

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

Re: Introduction/Information

carbure2003
 

I believe you have everything you need in that book

V belt pulley is an option for the standard SB lathes. It has more drive power than the original flat belt
It is exactly the same procedure in order to rebuild the machine. The only difference is the belt pulleys. Every other parts are identical
 
 

---------- Original Message ----------
From: jchammonds@...
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:20:15 -0700

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds



____________________________________________________________

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

Re: 1949 SB 16/24 USAF Lathe

Jim_B
 

I am sure this document is in the files section but I am attaching. I think it will provide some information.


On Apr 24, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Matt R <mrissmiller@...> wrote:

My 16/24 has a foot on the tailstock end. How do I go about leveling and getting the twist out of the bed? Can I just do all levelling at the headstock end? Currently it is sitting on rubber pad (hockey pucks). 1 under each of the 2 bolt bosses on the headstock end and 3 under the foot at the tailstock end.

Jim B.





--
Jim B

Re: Introduction/Information

Andrei
 

I contemplated buying that serial number card information for my lathe, but after seeing one of the cards, I decided that 25 bucks will buy me something more important, like beer or a hot dog. I did not find that information to be of any use other than trivia. 

Of course, your mileage may vary and if that kind of information provides you joy, then, by all means, order the card. 


From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 3:42 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
 
John,  one interesting thing you can do is email or call Grizzly tools and purchase the original purchase card for your lathe.  They will send you a PDF of the card, showing date manufactured and delivered, also who it was purchased by.  Cost is $25.

Grizzly operates a separate business name of South Bend Lathes or similar. They responded to my request for a card in February in one day.

Glenn 


On Apr 24, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

You are in luck, John.

We have a plethora of manuals in the files section and many of us have SB 9a lathes. 

Check out the files section and if you don't find the stuff there, start asking questions. With everybody locked up in the house because of the virus, you should get answers pretty darn fast. 

Welcome aboard 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of jchammonds@... <jchammonds@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 11:20 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
 

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

Re: Introduction/Information

glenn brooks
 

John,  one interesting thing you can do is email or call Grizzly tools and purchase the original purchase card for your lathe.  They will send you a PDF of the card, showing date manufactured and delivered, also who it was purchased by.  Cost is $25.

Grizzly operates a separate business name of South Bend Lathes or similar. They responded to my request for a card in February in one day.

Glenn 


On Apr 24, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

You are in luck, John.

We have a plethora of manuals in the files section and many of us have SB 9a lathes. 

Check out the files section and if you don't find the stuff there, start asking questions. With everybody locked up in the house because of the virus, you should get answers pretty darn fast. 

Welcome aboard 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of jchammonds@... <jchammonds@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 11:20 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
 

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

Re: 1949 SB 16/24 USAF Lathe

eddie.draper@btinternet.com
 

Matt,

When you say "a foot" does this mean as near as dammit a single point contact with the floor, or is it a wide foot with a pair of holding down holes?  And how much twist are you trying to get out?  Is it uniform twist along the whole length, or just local to the end near the chuck

If the plan view of your floor holding down holes is a triangle, you can't use them to correct twist.  If the plan view is a rectangle with a hole at each corner, you can.

Let us know the arrangement and we can proceed from there.

Eddie

On Friday, 24 April 2020, 19:50:52 BST, Matt R <mrissmiller@...> wrote:


My 16/24 has a foot on the tailstock end. How do I go about leveling and getting the twist out of the bed? Can I just do all levelling at the headstock end? Currently it is sitting on rubber pad (hockey pucks). 1 under each of the 2 bolt bosses on the headstock end and 3 under the foot at the tailstock end.

1949 SB 16/24 USAF Lathe

Matt R
 

My 16/24 has a foot on the tailstock end. How do I go about leveling and getting the twist out of the bed? Can I just do all levelling at the headstock end? Currently it is sitting on rubber pad (hockey pucks). 1 under each of the 2 bolt bosses on the headstock end and 3 under the foot at the tailstock end.

Re: Introduction/Information #poll

Andrei
 

John,

Your lathe is designated as such: 

CL = threaded spindle nose
no single digit after CL means it is a workshop lathe, not a toolroom lathe
744 = 9" Model A, 16-Speed, V-belt bench lathe, Horizontal Motor Drive (HMD) with full quick change gear mechanism
NAR meaning:
N = 9 inch
A = quick change gear
R = regular spindle hole, standard swing
1947 to 1968 production window
10 = model number (factory designation) that gets changed with model improvements. 

CE3455 = the parts list catalog for models A, B, and C






From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Steven H via groups.io <stevesmachining@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 1:31 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information #poll
 
Try www.wswells.com, www.vintagemachinery.org, and www.lathes.co.uk

Steve Haskell

On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:31 AM, jchammonds@... wrote:



A new poll has been created:

Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

1. Don't Know
2. If I knew the answer I would not ask a question

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.

Re: Introduction/Information

m. allan noah
 

There is no information to be found. It is just like the flat belt
models other than the v-belt pulleys.

allan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 12:08 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io
<wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

this book may be of help for you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Maintenance-Manual-for-Vintage-South-Bend-Lathe-All-Models-9-thru-16/153837220516?hash=item23d169b2a4:g:cSYAAOSwqG1eW80C Rather than buying it to find out if it covers your machine, you can contact the seller and ask. Or if you don't use EBay, let me know and I'll ask for you. I've got a 1941 Heavy 10L, so can't tell you much about the 9" lathes. Last time I saw one of those was in 1973. I am planing on buying the book, though the info I'm looking for isn't what you need.

Have you talked to the South Bend folks at Grizzly?

HTH!

Bill in OKC


--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge
of my hand"

Re: Introduction/Information #poll

Steven H
 

Try www.wswells.com, www.vintagemachinery.org, and www.lathes.co.uk

Steve Haskell

On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:31 AM, jchammonds@... wrote:



A new poll has been created:

Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

1. Don't Know
2. If I knew the answer I would not ask a question

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.

Re: Introduction/Information

Bill in OKC too
 

this book may be of help for you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Maintenance-Manual-for-Vintage-South-Bend-Lathe-All-Models-9-thru-16/153837220516?hash=item23d169b2a4:g:cSYAAOSwqG1eW80C Rather than buying it to find out if it covers your machine, you can contact the seller and ask. Or if you don't use EBay, let me know and I'll ask for you. I've got a 1941 Heavy 10L, so can't tell you much about the 9" lathes. Last time I saw one of those was in 1973. I am planing on buying the book, though the info I'm looking for isn't what you need.

Have you talked to the South Bend folks at Grizzly?

HTH!

Bill in OKC

Re: Introduction/Information

Andrei
 

You are in luck, John.

We have a plethora of manuals in the files section and many of us have SB 9a lathes. 

Check out the files section and if you don't find the stuff there, start asking questions. With everybody locked up in the house because of the virus, you should get answers pretty darn fast. 

Welcome aboard 


From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of jchammonds@... <jchammonds@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 11:20 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information
 

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds