Date   
Re: pdf files wont open

Don Verdiani
 

I seem to have no trouble opening files and pictures with my PC.

Don V

-----Original Message-----
From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven H via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 5:29 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] pdf files wont open

I am able to access the Group files without issue from my iPhone 7 and my desktop computer.

Steve Haskell
Troy, MI
On Jun 29, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Jim_B <@Jim_B> wrote:

I did check on my IPhone8.
No issue their either.
Now I am a moderator.
Perhaps that’s the difference.
I will look into permissions.
Perhaps a non moderator member can check also.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 29, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Jim Schaffroth via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Can't open any. I use my phone. Don't even have a PC. Maybe it's my phone. Seems odd I can open them on the Yahoo site but not here. Thanks for checking.

--------------------------------------------


--
Jim B


Re: pdf files wont open

Steven H
 

I am able to access the Group files without issue from my iPhone 7 and my desktop computer.

Steve Haskell
Troy, MI

On Jun 29, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Jim_B <@Jim_B> wrote:

I did check on my IPhone8.
No issue their either.
Now I am a moderator.
Perhaps that’s the difference.
I will look into permissions.
Perhaps a non moderator member can check also.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 29, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Jim Schaffroth via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Can't open any. I use my phone. Don't even have a PC. Maybe it's my phone. Seems odd I can open them on the Yahoo site but not here. Thanks for checking.

--------------------------------------------


--
Jim B


Re: pdf files wont open

Jim_B
 

I checked the files permissions settings.
All members can view, only moderators can upload.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 29, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Jim_B <@Jim_B> wrote:

I did check on my IPhone8.
No issue their either.
Now I am a moderator.
Perhaps that’s the difference.
I will look into permissions.
Perhaps a non moderator member can check also.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B

Re: pdf files wont open

George Meinschein
 

I just tried on my Droid phone. Some open with Chrome, some don't. For those that didn't open immediately, I could do a long press on the link and open/download/view in a new tab. 

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.


WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional long guns

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: george.meinschein@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

   

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018, 3:59 PM Jim Schaffroth via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can't open any. I use my phone. Don't even have a PC. Maybe it's my phone. Seems odd I can open them on the Yahoo site but not here. Thanks for checking.

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 6/29/18, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] pdf files wont open
 To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
 Date: Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:20 PM

 I just
 logged in on a Win-7 machine using Firefox and did not have
 any trouble. To be sure I logged
 in on a MAC-book-Pro using Safari, also no
 problem. I tried 3
 files. Which one I an
 issue?

 On Jun 29, 2018, at 12:56 PM,
 beeeeeee4 via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4=yahoo.com@groups.io>
 wrote:
 I can't open PDF files here.  I
 can go to the yahoo group and they open fine. Not so here. 





 --

 Jim B







Re: pdf files wont open

Jim_B
 

I did check on my IPhone8.
No issue their either.
Now I am a moderator.
Perhaps that’s the difference.
I will look into permissions.
Perhaps a non moderator member can check also.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 29, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Jim Schaffroth via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Can't open any. I use my phone. Don't even have a PC. Maybe it's my phone. Seems odd I can open them on the Yahoo site but not here. Thanks for checking.

--------------------------------------------
--
Jim B

Re: pdf files wont open

Jim Schaffroth
 

Can't open any. I use my phone. Don't even have a PC. Maybe it's my phone. Seems odd I can open them on the Yahoo site but not here. Thanks for checking.

--------------------------------------------

On Fri, 6/29/18, Jim_B <@Jim_B> wrote:

Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] pdf files wont open
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Date: Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:20 PM

I just
logged in on a Win-7 machine using Firefox and did not have
any trouble. To be sure I logged
in on a MAC-book-Pro using Safari, also no
problem. I tried 3
files. Which one I an
issue?

On Jun 29, 2018, at 12:56 PM,
beeeeeee4 via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:
I can't open PDF files here.  I
can go to the yahoo group and they open fine. Not so here. 





--

Jim B

Re: pdf files wont open

Jim_B
 

I just logged in on a Win-7 machine using Firefox and did not have any trouble. 
To be sure I logged in on a MAC-book-Pro using Safari, also no problem. 
I tried 3 files. 
Which one I an issue?

On Jun 29, 2018, at 12:56 PM, beeeeeee4 via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4@...> wrote:

I can't open PDF files here.  I can go to the yahoo group and they open fine. Not so here. 


--
Jim B

pdf files wont open

Jim Schaffroth
 

I can't open PDF files here.  I can go to the yahoo group and they open fine. Not so here. 

Re: Spindle register issue

Earl White
 

Just a thought and It's probably way off, but if that is a scroll chuck, you might have put the wrong jaws in the wrong slots.  Each jaw is different depending on the number stamped on the jaw.  In other words the #1 jaw has to go back in the #1 slot and so on, other wise the jaws will not center at all and your work will be way off center.  

Earl

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM, m. allan noah <kitno455@...> wrote:
So, if you turn that piece of steel on the 9A with the altered
spindle, it will run true. If you then remove and reinstall the chuck
without removing the workpiece from it, does it repeat well?

allan

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:
>
> I machined a piece of steel.
>
> On my 10K, it repeats within less than half a thou.
>
> Same chuck transferred on 9A with intact spindle, it repeats within 3 thou.
>
> On the 9A with altered spindle, it is off centered by 7 thou.
>
> 3 thou is acceptable, 7 is not.
>
> Guy
>
>
>
> ---------- Original Message ----------
> From: "Jim_B" <jim@...>
> To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
> Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Spindle register issue
> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:44:12 -0400
>
> I have many times removed a chuck with a face plate in it, while threading the face plate, to test the fit on the spindle threads.
> When the chuck and face plate were screwed back on registration was perfect.
>
> I am not sure if all my chucks were tight fits on the “registration step” or they used the threads and the spindle stop.
>
> The 9” Workshop and the 10k have a very small stop behind the register.
> If the faceplate has any radius on the threaded bore you may or may not properly register on the stop.
> The Heavy 10 and larger lathes have a good stop.
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone-8
> Jim B,
>
>> On Jun 21, 2018, at 8:28 PM, Davis Johnson <davis@...> wrote:
>>
>> HTRL agrees with you (heresy around here, tho).
>>
>> I'd be interested in an experiment.
>>
>> Chuck up a short piece of scrap, turn the outside for a bit.
>>
>> The part you just turned will be exactly concentric. Check it with an indicator.
>>
>> Unmount/remount the chuck several times without removing the piece of scrap. Each time check it with an indicator.
>>
>> I really would be interested in the results, and would do the experiment myself except that I don't have a chuck with a loose register.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Jim B
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________
> We Say Goodbye To Lara Spencer
> risingstarnewspaper.com
> http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5b2da6b340efa26b323b4st03vuc
>
>
>



--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge
of my hand"




Re: New member

Steven H
 

Thanks for your reply. I found a parts manual for my lathe in the Group files.

Steve Haskell

On Jun 23, 2018, at 12:26 PM, Jim_B <@Jim_B> wrote:

SB generally did not have ”A” machine specific manual.
Their publication How To Run A Lathe, HTRAL, was general to all Lathe’s. Copies are in the files.
There are detailed exploded Forms for the major assemblies also.
If you need ANY help just ask.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for the add. Just purchased and brought home a 16” South Bend (PO told me 37.5” between centers). Have not moved the lathe into my shop not powered it up yet. Need to rearrange and make some room. PO said lathe was 1960’s vintage. I would like to get a manual and exploded view parts list. Does this group have a “files” section where this information might be found?

Steve Haskell
Troy, Mi




--
Jim B


Re: New member

Jim_B
 

SB generally did not have ”A” machine specific manual.
Their publication How To Run A Lathe, HTRAL, was general to all Lathe’s. Copies are in the files.
There are detailed exploded Forms for the major assemblies also.
If you need ANY help just ask.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for the add. Just purchased and brought home a 16” South Bend (PO told me 37.5” between centers). Have not moved the lathe into my shop not powered it up yet. Need to rearrange and make some room. PO said lathe was 1960’s vintage. I would like to get a manual and exploded view parts list. Does this group have a “files” section where this information might be found?

Steve Haskell
Troy, Mi


--
Jim B

Re: New member

George Meinschein
 

Steve,
There is a files section for this group that has a bunch of good info.  Do you know how to access?

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.


WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional long guns

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: george.meinschein@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

   


On Sat, Jun 23, 2018, 11:31 AM Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for the add. Just purchased and brought home a 16” South Bend (PO told me 37.5” between centers). Have not moved the lathe into my shop not powered it up yet. Need to rearrange and make some room. PO said lathe was 1960’s vintage. I would like to get a manual and exploded view parts list. Does this group have a “files” section where this information might be found?

Steve Haskell
Troy, Mi



New member

Steven H
 

Thanks for the add. Just purchased and brought home a 16” South Bend (PO told me 37.5” between centers). Have not moved the lathe into my shop not powered it up yet. Need to rearrange and make some room. PO said lathe was 1960’s vintage. I would like to get a manual and exploded view parts list. Does this group have a “files” section where this information might be found?

Steve Haskell
Troy, Mi

Re: Would like to join this group

ww_big_al
 

Welcome to the group. Lots of helpful folks here.

SB 9a

On Jun 23, 2018, at 8:01 AM, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

Hello. I am retired and own and run a one-man machine shop from my home garage. I just purchased a used 1960’s vintage 16 inch South Bend lathe and would like to join this group. Thanks.
Steve Haskell, Steves Machine Shop LLC, Troy, MI

Re: Would like to join this group

Nelson <nelson.timken@...>
 

Steve,

 

Looks like you are already a member. Welcome.

 

Nelson Timken

Founder

Hobby-Machinist.com

 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven H via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 8:02 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Would like to join this group

 

Hello. I am retired and own and run a one-man machine shop from my home garage. I just purchased a used 1960’s vintage 16 inch South Bend lathe and would like to join this group. Thanks.
Steve Haskell, Steves Machine Shop LLC, Troy, MI

Would like to join this group

Steven H
 

Hello. I am retired and own and run a one-man machine shop from my home garage. I just purchased a used 1960’s vintage 16 inch South Bend lathe and would like to join this group. Thanks.
Steve Haskell, Steves Machine Shop LLC, Troy, MI

Re: SB 13" x 5 Bed in New Jersey, under $ 1000

comstock_friend
 

Catalog 5700 says a CL145B weighs 1510 pounds 'crated' (1940 pounds 'boxed'). 

The 5 foot bed yields 28" between centers.

I much prefer my 13" over my very nice 9" Model A. MUCH more RIGID.

John

SB 13" x 5 Bed in New Jersey, under $ 1000

comstock_friend
 

Ebay offering, starting bid $10:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263774031282?ul_noapp=true

It needs a little love, but better than a 9"er at $2000...

John

Re: SouthBend on Medosto CL

George Meinschein
 

The asking price for South Bend lathes seems to be from $500 to $3000 on Craigslist around here. Makes no difference what size.  The higher priced ones usually stay listed for months. The lower priced ones usually seem to be gone within a few weeks. I get the feeling that the sale price of the larger lathes takes into account the hassle/expense of moving 2000+ pounds.  Some people think they have gold. Others are thrilled just to have someone respond to their ad.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.


WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional long guns

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: george.meinschein@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

   

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 10:04 PM mike allen <animal@...> wrote:
         Seems high to me but who knows

https://modesto.craigslist.org/tls/d/1950s-vintage-southbend-lathe/6609580798.html

         animal





Re: Spindle register issue

m. allan noah
 

So, if you turn that piece of steel on the 9A with the altered
spindle, it will run true. If you then remove and reinstall the chuck
without removing the workpiece from it, does it repeat well?

allan

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:

I machined a piece of steel.

On my 10K, it repeats within less than half a thou.

Same chuck transferred on 9A with intact spindle, it repeats within 3 thou.

On the 9A with altered spindle, it is off centered by 7 thou.

3 thou is acceptable, 7 is not.

Guy



---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Jim_B" <@Jim_B>
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Spindle register issue
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:44:12 -0400

I have many times removed a chuck with a face plate in it, while threading the face plate, to test the fit on the spindle threads.
When the chuck and face plate were screwed back on registration was perfect.

I am not sure if all my chucks were tight fits on the “registration step” or they used the threads and the spindle stop.

The 9” Workshop and the 10k have a very small stop behind the register.
If the faceplate has any radius on the threaded bore you may or may not properly register on the stop.
The Heavy 10 and larger lathes have a good stop.


Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jun 21, 2018, at 8:28 PM, Davis Johnson <davis@...> wrote:

HTRL agrees with you (heresy around here, tho).

I'd be interested in an experiment.

Chuck up a short piece of scrap, turn the outside for a bit.

The part you just turned will be exactly concentric. Check it with an indicator.

Unmount/remount the chuck several times without removing the piece of scrap. Each time check it with an indicator.

I really would be interested in the results, and would do the experiment myself except that I don't have a chuck with a loose register.




--
Jim B


____________________________________________________________
We Say Goodbye To Lara Spencer
risingstarnewspaper.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5b2da6b340efa26b323b4st03vuc


--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge
of my hand"