Re: Motor starting jolt

Stephen Bartlett

Even worse is having one connection set for 120 volts and the other for 240. Instant motor death.

I once worked for GE in Lynn, Mass. We had several different voltages available, in the same locations.

We moved a simple, single phase IBM card sorting machine from one side of a room, on a 208 volt receptacle, and tied it to a 240 volt source on the other side of the room.

The motor immediately burned out.

It turned out that the motor's internal connections had been set up for 120 volt operation. The 208 volt source was actually down to about 200 volts and the motor was fine for years. Once it was hit with 240 it was gone.

Steve Bartlett

SOUTHBENDLATHE@... wrote:

Posted by: "Oren" obolt@...com
Date: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:41 am ((PST))

Thanks for the replies thus far. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s possible that I miswired the motor...it’s wired for 110 by me and I presumed I did it correctly and it’s definitely supplied with 110 as I wired the shop myself. Is it possible to miswire it and create a large startup jolt then have everything run fine after startup? When I first tested it unloaded on the bench after wiring it it jumped badly...I assumed that was because it had no load...now I’m wondering.

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.