Re: New member introduction

scott sunday

So…after reading the faq’s and some of the other files I think I have the feed speed figured out on my 9c. If I’m reading the chart on the cover of my lathe right if I want to change the feed speed  to .0021 inches of travel per 1 revolution of spindle revolution I would use a 16 stud gear and a 80 screw gear. Or if I wanted to do a travel speed of .0139 per revolution of spindle I would use a 16 stud gear and a 36 screw gear. Have I finally figured it out??
Scott

On Dec 23, 2017, at 3:52 PM, Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

The back gear doesn't change the ratio of the leadscrew to spindle. It just makes the spindle turn slower, with more torque.

On Saturday, December 23, 2017, 12:03:00 PM MST, scott sunday spivey250@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Hello

My name is Scott Sunday.. I joined this group yesterday. I found it as I was looking for information on my lathe. I own a model c9-10jr.  I’ve owned this lathe for several years and have turned a few pieces on it, but nothing that I am real proud of. As a younger man I ran a Clausing Colchester lathe in a machine shop trade class. I sort of remember some of the basics about lathe operation but machine shop was so long ago I have forgotten most of what I was taught. I am strictly a hobbyiest operator.  I use my lathe for making motorcycle parts like wheel spacers or bushings for bikes I am building.  I’m getting ready to start turning some stainless hex stock into bolts for a project because I can’t find the bolts I need anywhere. One of the thinngs I’m hoping to finds an answer to on the forum are about the gears on the back of the lathe and how they work as far as speed and feed and thread turning are conserned.

Thanks for letting me join this group.  This is my first post and I’m including some pics of my lathe.  Hopefully you guys with more experience than me with these lathes can guide me to a better understanding of my lathe and how to make it work better.