Re: Motor starting jolt

Gregg Eshelman

Look up a soft starter or slow starter. Might find one surplus or used for less than new $

On Saturday, December 23, 2017, 1:20:00 PM MST, obolt@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

I finally got my 9b on line, new felts and belts all set. Part of the process included a new Leeson 1hp capacitor start motor, which I was really looking forward to. But, the damn thing starts with such a jolt that it almost seems dangerous for the lathe, or at the least, disruptive to doing close tolerance work.

I’m thinking I must need a smaller start capacitor, but I don’t see much discussion of this on the internet. Most info is about increasing capacitor size...

Any ideas? Should I try to mount the motor in a non standard way in order to isolate it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.