Re: 9" SBL Model 'C' question.

gorvil

Clyde, the "lock" at the rear of the carriage is not really a lock.
In normal operation this should be snugged up for a sliding fit. You
are talking about the long plate that has two bolts one on either
end, Right?

The carriage lock is on the tailstock end in the front of the
carriage, as Len described below. It is a little square plate with a
notch out of it to clear stuff in the apron and threaded to pull up
against the bottom of the bed. There are also two pins to brush up
against the side of the bed to keep it from twisting when you tighten
the locking bolt.

A lot of lathes seem to have lost this piece, I had to make one for
my own lathe. I have since made some for other folks on the list,
too. E-mail me direct if you need more help. I can give you
approximate dimensions if you want to make your own.

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, "Len Smith" <parnobal2@s...>
wrote:
My 1940 Model C has the carriage lock on the front at tailstock
end, with a 5/16ths square headed screw to tighten. I also
experienced some lift occasionally until I minded how I tightened the
lock. I keep it just touching, but sliding, in normal use.
Len