Re: Sbl 16" circa 1942 countershaft bearings

Gregg Eshelman

You could use a piece of hard shaft (not cuttable with a hacksaw) and some drawn cup needle bearings. Bore out the shaft support or make reducer sleeves as needed to fit the bearings.

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 8:09:18 PM MST, johnandshell@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

My counter shaft is pretty worn. I'm amazed that the wear is mostly on the shaft and not the bearings. Does anyone know the sleeve bearing material? It didn't melt like babbitt. It seems harder than bronze. Could it be cast iron bearings? I think I would like to replace these with ball bearings...any experience in this?