Re: Attaching A Face Plate

ww_big_al

I think I would  place the shim in as you suggested. Even better would be to install an oversize shim and use a boring bar to increase the depth of your thread. Doing that would allow the plate to rest directly on the spindle stop.

Al

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:04 PM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Attaching A Face Plate

I am looking at a boring job using the face plate that came with my 9C.
I have not had occasion to use this face plate before.

When I screw the plate onto the spindle, it runs out of thread leaving
about 1/8 inch gap between the back of the face plate hub and the step
face of the spindle, so only the threads are stopping the screwing of
the face plate on the spindle.

Would it be advisable to have a shim between the face plate hub and the
spindle face so that the face plate will be seated before it runs out of
thread?

I am uncomfortable with the idea of having the end of threads stop the
motion of the face plate.

Thanks,

Steve Bartlett