From: 'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE
Sent: Mon, Nov 27, 2017 10:25 pm
Subject: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] SB Lathe 9 x 36 Mod# CL 277Y Ser# 43116NBR9

Late 9/59 to early 10/59

Jim B.

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 8:47 PM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...

Thanks Jim

SN in subject line; looks as if maybe 1959 or so???   Ser# 43116NBR9

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Jim Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

There will be a serial number stamped into the bed on the tailstock end. From that you can get the ship date.

Please visit the files section of the home group page. The techinfo folder.

-8
Jim B,

On Nov 27, 2017, at 4:52 PM, griffinjohnm@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Greetings,

I just finished driving 'round trip to San Diego and thereby finally fulfilling my long ago promise to pick up Dad's old South Bend lathe

Its now home in Pilot Mt, NC, and I'm trying to figure out what I've got. I believe it is a Type B 9" x 36" which came equipped as a "Floor Standing" model with cast legs and a drip pan. V belt horizontal drive; 1/2 hp 4 pole motor with reversing switch

Maybe late 1950's vintage? I found the cat #  (CL 277Y) in an online 1960 SB catalog pdf

My plan is to learn a bit about it, and then install new felts, etc before using. It looks in fair shape overall, though I didn't seem to get the change gears with it (are there about a dozen in all?)

Appreciate any newbie resource links. I may order felts kit with overhaul manual and lubricants I found on ebay if you concur

john