Re: Newbie (New Member, New to me South Bend)

Gregg Eshelman

Bolt the headstock end down snug then check to see which side of the tailstock end foot is not touching the benchtop. Put shims under that side. Making sure the bed isn't twisted is easiest if it's level - but with a precision level you can adjust the shims to get the same amount of front to back tilt at both ends.

An option some years on the 9" Workshop (and others with the bench mount option?) was an adjustable tailstock end foot. The procedure with that one was loosen the adjuster screws, bolt both feet down snug then use a level and the adjuster screws to ensure there's no twist in the bed.

From: "don.hubbard@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Newbie (New Member, New to me South Bend)

Thanks Ed!

I have read that adding a concrete base to an existing table was a recommended solution for these smaller lathes such that they could more easily build high tolerance parts for the war effort. A 3" thick concrete slab and a 1" steel plate weigh about the same. I don't know which I worry about more... my ability to pour a flat slab on concrete or prying my wallet open enough to pay for a 1" thick slab of CRS!  :)

If the table top is not nice and flat, what is the procedure for leveling, or mounting the lathe so that bed twist is not an issue?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Don