Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] headstock stock run out?
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Date: Monday, March 6, 2017, 2:21 AM

I am using a Starrett
micrometer with .0001 graduations. I repeated the
measurements enough times to be confident of the values.
Also, after testing a 3 inch piece, the difference was
pretty much 3 times the results of the 1 inch piece. I
certainly am no expert, but this is pretty clear.

Normally I wouldn't worry
about a .0005 tolerance. However, the plans for theĀ  small
IC engine I am building call for the piston to be no more
than .0012 smaller than the cylinder. With an inch and a
half long cylinder, a .0007 difference in diameters to start
with seems to be too much.

Please feel free to correct
me if I am missing some thing here. I am teaching myself and
can use all the help I can get. Thanks, John.