Re: headstock stock run out?

John Gallo

I am using a Starrett micrometer with .0001 graduations. I repeated the measurements enough times to be confident of the values. Also, after testing a 3 inch piece, the difference was pretty much 3 times the results of the 1 inch piece. I certainly am no expert, but this is pretty clear.

Normally I wouldn't worry about a .0005 tolerance. However, the plans for the  small IC engine I am building call for the piston to be no more than .0012 smaller than the cylinder. With an inch and a half long cylinder, a .0007 difference in diameters to start with seems to be too much.

Please feel free to correct me if I am missing some thing here. I am teaching myself and can use all the help I can get. Thanks, John.