From: "Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Need help with paint color

Could I request a little clarification, please?  In the UK, when I was a kid in the '50s & '60s, "Penetrol" was a pungent liquid dripped onto a handkerchief which could be applied to the nose at intervals as an almost entirely ineffective nasal decongestant.  The only benefit appeared to be the ability to recognise a kid with a cold from a safe distance by the smell and maintain that distance to reduce cross infection.   I'm nearly certain you don't mean this stuff!

Would I be right in thinking that you mean the type of thinners appropriate to the type of paint?  (White spirit / cellulose thinners.)

Just a couple of weeks ago, I tried to paint some water based paint over an oil based primer which had had at least 2 weeks to dry (and it's summer here, still).  It wouldn't spread, kept bunching, had to wipe it off after not getting very far.

Conversely, a loco painted with "Copon" 2 pack water based at least 15, possibly more, years ago is holding up well, although it's about due now.  There was no oil based primer under it, just a smear of sanded 2 pack ordinary car body filler blending to bare metal.  2 pack epoxy paint is fairly easy to use and as hard as, well, epoxy.

What I can't get my head around is the instruction to paint water based paint over bare steel.  Rust should have set in before the paint has hardened.

Eddie