Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: What is acceptable cross slide backlash?

Steve
I have a excellent cross feed screw and nut Used

GP

    Date: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 am ((PDT))

While you can work with that amount, if you try to part, the
tool will be grabbed and thrust into the work and additional
0.014”. This will stall the lathe and my break the tool.

Often, only a small portion of the play is in the nut and screw.

Here is a fix for the rest of the play.
http://www.machinistweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233

Jim B.