Re: Southbend lathe from 1911/12.

john kling

Back when I was working I was good at somethings- not related to machine tools. Still that does not keep me from throwing out ideas. If both the cross feed screw and nut are to be replaced does that provide freedom to use pairs off of other models?

Is the straightforward approach to the (now) unusual spindle size simply to turn new backpllates for chucks for heavy 10 or other lathes?  On wood lathes there are sometimes spindle adaptors for various size spindles. This is suspect it not a way to obtain a precision fit.