Re: needle bearings on cross feeds.

john kling

It seems to be possible to upgrade to the needle bearings without upgrading to large dials. Are the same bearings etc used for the upgrade only to needle bearings?

On Monday, April 25, 2016 5:44 PM, "paulguenter@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

At the time of installing a roller bearing in the cross feed screw it would be perfect to go to a larger dial at least 2" od or maybe  2 1/2 " od. you also have to counter bore where the bearing goes and remove some material. Just remember you are adding extra thickness. I have a friend in Florida that will make you a new dial  He is very reasonable

GP

From: "'Jim B.' btdtrf@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 5:02 PM
Subject: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] needle bearings on cross feeds.

In the files section;
CONVERTING A SOUTH BEND HEAVY 10 SMALL DIAL CROSS.pdf Adding thrust bearings to a Heavy 10 with a small dial.

Is the most straight forward How To.
I am not sure that the SB Workshop 9” lathes with the small dials have room to fit.
I have put them in my 9” Catalog #405, which has the smallest dials in the world,  but I also converted to Large Dials.

Here is the compound

Here is the cross feed with a large dial conversion.

I did check the links but If they don’t work for you let me know and I will give you a roadmap.

FWIW I have also put them in the tailstocks. Both the 405 Workshop and the Heavy 10.

Oh Yes. They are also in my Burke #4 mill.

Jim B.