Re: SB 9C HEADSTOCK SPINDLE BEARINGS

john kling

Were a small number of workshops originally made with thin wall bronze bearings?

On Monday, February 15, 2016 7:25 PM, "'m. allan noah' kitno455@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

There was a fellow (on HSM i think) that bored a badly scored headstock and installed needle rollers some years ago. Afterwards, he found too much pattern from the bearings translated into the work. He replaced them with bronze shells.

allan

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 7:09 PM, john kling jkling222@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

A few years back i read a discussion (Practical machinist) on replacing the front bearing with a tapered roller bearing. Some one might have been successful but most of the discussion, as I recall question, seem to question whether it would be possible to remove enough iron from the headstock to introduce the bearing.

On Monday, February 15, 2016 6:38 PM, "'Nick Hayer' nick@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Hey Tony,

Is this the apple?
Thanks -
-Nick

From: "Jim B.' btdtrf@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 6:22 PM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: SB 9C HEADSTOCK SPINDLE BEARINGS

It’s a Catalog 415 Workshop Lathe.

Jim B.

Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 5:42 PM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: SB 9C HEADSTOCK SPINDLE BEARINGS

Thank you  for being able to clearly see what I was asking about ( I hope  none of them are doctors ).
I felt I was describing a pineapple, but they want to talk about oranges.

It still has the original ball thrust race and the fiber washer for end play control.
As for removing the spindle caps, it does not have caps, but just a split in the front of the casting.            

Which brings me to another point what type of lathe it really is, so many answers to that point also.

Tony

This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.