Re: New South Bend 9C Owner

Gregg Eshelman

On 1/24/2016 4:08 PM, timbologist@yahoo.co.uk [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

As for the missing parts,
Half nut cam lever, found pictures on the net and from them made
drawings, and 3D model, which I printed on 3D printer from ABS plastic.
It works no problem as loading on part is not high.

Change gears again made 3D models and currently printing on 3D printer
from ABS, can make any tooth gear I wish.

And currently making the thread chasing dial again 3D printed.
Nylon should work better for the gears. Some owners of Atlas lathes have had good results, same for at least one guy with a Chinese 9x20.

Seems the Nylon layers stick together significantly better than ABS or PLA, and Nylon is "self lubricating" which is why it gets used for some injection molded gears.

If you can find some non-reinforced string trimmer line of the right diameter, there's some real cheap printing filament. The reinforced line will clog your printer nozzle real quick.