Re: Old South Bend lathe. [3 Attachments]

john kling

Sorry about a few off the mark comments. Pictures of 1815-1917 lathes reveal back gear guards- apparently cast and much different from yours. The 1915 was produced without a compound rest. Your 1920 date seem to be right.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:38 PM, "'peter nunes' peter.nunes@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

[Attachment(s) from peter nunes included below]
I restore antique clocks here in Rhode Island, including an occasional street clock or tower clock.  I generally use a Sherline lathe for conventional antique clock restoration, including filing and burnishing pivots and turning the occasional bushing.  For bigger wheels and arbors I have a clunky 1950 Craftsman metal lathe, which is inadequate.  I’ve always liked old South Bend machinery, and I’ve just purchased a very old S.B. lathe, which I don’t have in my shop yet.  I suspect it is from the 1920s or 30s.  I haven’t been able to find one just like it on line, so I’ll post some pictures here.  The current owner claims there is no serial number on the machine, and when I looked it over, I didn’t know where to look (though I do now).  I’ll be interested to see if I can find it.  Here are a couple of pictures.  The lathe has about 6” over the ways, so I suspect it might be an 11” swing model, if South Bend ever made such a creature.  Thanks.