Re: Old South Bend lathe.

Gregg Eshelman

On 1/21/2016 8:52 PM, 'Jim B. ' btdtrf@verizon.net [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Yes that is Japanning.
OT.
Singer made a lot of things beside Sowing machines. They, of course made
the wood canners. Because of that they also had a furniture division.
I worked, for a while until we were taken over, for Singer Electronic
Systems. Kerfott Guidance and Navigation (KG&N) was a sister division.
They did and still do Inertial guidance systems. Many use Ring Laser
Gyroscopes (RLG Google it).
It was a really advanced company.
Were you there when they did the daisy wheel printers? Singer didn't seem to have a plan on what to do with that so the whole printer team left and formed the Diablo company to manufacture the HyType II product line, followed by the 630 series. HyType was supposedly officially NOT short for Hyper Typer.