Re: Old South Bend lathe.

john kling

I not sure that the previous comment went through. It noted that some early lathes did not have guards for the back gears. I looked at the Tony Griffth lathe history/compendum. It has a picture of a 1910 SB with no guards on the back gears. So as was noted the nickle plated guards for the back gears might not be original.

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:52 PM, "'Jim B. ' btdtrf@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Yes that is Japanning.
OT.
Singer made a lot of things beside Sowing machines. They, of course made the wood canners. Because of that they also had a furniture division.
I worked, for a while until we were taken over, for Singer Electronic Systems. Kerfott Guidance and Navigation (KG&N) was a sister division. They did and still do Inertial guidance systems. Many use Ring Laser Gyroscopes (RLG Google it).
It was a really advanced company.

Jim B,

On Jan 21, 2016, at 10:03 PM, Ed S eschwerkolt@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

JIm,

I didn't know that Singer made machines that planted crops.

Actually I have a 1920ish Singer that i use to sew vinyl for my
pontoon boat. It is a very nice shiny black. I wonder if that is japaning.

Anon