Re: on bed design.

john kling

Looking at pictures of Hardinge lathes that have what looks somewhat like a wide flat bed, I see that they have angles on both the front and back side. In a sense this like having a single inverted V  - with several inches of metal where the peak would otherwise be. So I will take the Hardinge off of the precision flat bed lathes. I have seen pictures of 1900 Drummond lathes with a tube type bed. The pictures do not reveal a slot in the "tube" - which I assume must be there to make any sense as a design.