Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:45 PM
Subject: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: wide 9 spindle felts and thrust bearing upgrade question

Allan;

I have been out all morning.

This is not to dispute you, since you are much more knowledgeable than I.  I remember some issues over what a 409 was.

Here is a post I saved from Dennis.

Hi Paul

I find your 409ZN in my 1938 and 39 catalog.  What you have is the 9 inch horizontal motor driven precision bench lathe.  This lathe is a T series lathe.  The T series were vastly improved over the O N or R series lathes that came before it.  As a quick change lathe the end door is a bolt on gear guard rather than a door with a hinge.  The back gear guards are bolted solidly to the head stock and do not have hinges.  This series of lathes used tapered gibs on the cross slide and the compound and were a big improvement over the older models that just used set screws to adjust them.  The rear countershaft that was used on this lathe is the same one used on the workshop 9 inch or the adjustable horizontal countershaft.  These T series lathes had better spindles than earlier models as they were case hardened though not yet mico polished as the S series was in 1939.  The T series still was a top oiler head stock and so did not have the capillary oiling system that the S series or the workshop lathe were equipped with in late 1938.  The T and S series lathes are known as the heavy 9 inch and are the for runners of the heavy ten lathe that came out in 1940.  The bed apron change box end gears that are on this lathe were the same ones used on the heavy ten.    I can scan the catalog image if you would like it.

Turk

So R series or T series?

Jim B.