Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:55 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: wide 9 spindle felts and thrust bearing upgrade question

Gosh, great history, but I really feel left out with my 409YN.  NO MENTION IN ANY OF THE POSTS that it ever existed.  I think it was shipped late 1936 or early 37, but not positive.  It is a top oiler widebed.

Bob

2

On Jun 9, 2015, at 8:42 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,
The O series lathes were slowly improved through the years on all features. Generation 1 or Group 1 as SBL called them
were 1906 to somewhere between 1915 and 1920. these had ph bronze boxes for the bearings and were very simple small drip cups with felt wicks.
The Group 2 headstocks from lets say 1920 to 1927 had small improvements in the bearings with oil retaining slots cut length wise
but not all the way to the end of the boxes and progressively got shallower towards the end. these had drip cups that had small round felts that
touched the spindle, and capillaries oil being forced out the grooves in the boxes as the spindle ran. A new headstock design was introduced in 1927-28
which had a longer spindle, improved steel, improved covers, bed feet for alignment, other features also. Hardened thrust washer. On the bearings,
the phb boxes were changed to have a groove circular to the oil cup with gits type cups with round felt. This generation 3 headstock was improved in the
early 30's and later offered a hardened spindle optional and had felt pads in the sides of the bronze boxes. The N series(same headstock)  came standard with the improved hardened spindle and had an optional for cast iron bearings at no charge.
The phb box bearings on the later G3 O series and the N, R, and T were finished line bored and lapped in. the earlier ones were hand scraped in.
Any of the older O series can be improved by adding the felt pads(cut the slots in the boxes) and making sure the oil cups have a round felt wick that fits the
cup well and touches the spindle. the missing felt wicks, I imagine, scored a great number of spindles.

Steve