Re: Non Circular gears

Gregg Eshelman

On 11/2/2014 1:40 PM, Edward Draper eddie.draper@btinternet.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Non circular gears (they don't have to be a geometrically constant shape
like an ellipse so long as the pair match) can be used for machine
control elements where variable speeds are needed, e.g. quick return
mechanisms. For the life of me, however, I can't visualise a use for a
square cornered gear!
Eddie
Two square gears, 90 degrees phased, should produce a cyclic speed variation. Drive a conveyor belt with that and it would work to shake the belt for smoothing out what it's transporting.

---