Re: pinion gear for 9A, 1924 mfger.

Steve Yasgur

Allan, here are the critical dimensions, less any info on gear pitch.

length of assembly:  2.32”
teeth: 46 large gear
14 pinion gear
diameter: 2.4” large gear
1.134 pinion gear
shaft diameter: 0.810
gear width: 0.447” large
0.527 pinion

These are caliper measurements only, so . . .

Ted (latheman2@...) sent a picture of an old complete assembly he has for sale, which may provide an answer.

Thanks!  Still interested in options!

Yaz

Stevan S. Yasgur
Suite 550
3300 Edinborough Way
Edina, MN  55435
952-893-9393
NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. This email is not, nor shall it be deemed to be, legal advice or counsel, unless the recipient already has an attorney-client relationship with the firm or me. This email does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Thank you.

On Oct 21, 2014, at 4:29 PM, 'm. allan noah' kitno455@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Steven, there was no 9A in 1924. I'm wondering if you don't have a
Series O wide-bed 9 inch lathe? Why don't you measure the outer
diameter of the pinion, and we'll see if a repair part can be found.

allan

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Stevan Yasgur steve@...
[SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

> Listmates—
>
> I have the above lathe with one broken pinion gear tooth, and a second tooth
> mashed and about to be torn off. picture attached. The pictures I’ve seen
> of replacement pinion gears/shafts don’t show the boss which is visible on
> the ways side of the gear the pinion shaft passes through. I suspect this
> construction is different from later models of the 9A apron as shown on a
> parts list I have. The larger gear behind it is double-keyed to the shaft.
> The big gear has 46 teeth.
>
> I need to replace the pinion gear, but am not sure what configuration to buy
> if one comes up on ebay. I checked with Grizzly, and their inventory of
> parts does not include that pinion gear. Further, it appears that the gear
> itself is really a gear-and-shaft construction. The “shaft” showing in this
> end shot is really the shaft that the gear revolves around.
>
> Any help enormously appreciated! Thanks!
>
> Steve
>

> Stevan S. Yasgur
> Suite 550
> 3300 Edinborough Way
> Edina, MN 55435
> 952-893-9393
> NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
> Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, is confidential and may
> be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you
> have received the message in error, then delete it. This email is not, nor
> shall it be deemed to be, legal advice or counsel, unless the recipient
> already has an attorney-client relationship with the firm or me. This email
> does not create an attorney-client relationship.
> Thank you.

of my hand"